kill switch malfunction

crabdance

Local time
8:51 PM
ok... I finally got my bike to where it will idle good now so I decided to go ahead and install the kill switch. I connected it to the blue wire. I took the bike out for a trip around the block and when I came home I tried the switch. I worked perfectly. At least I thought so until the next time I tried to start it. The bike would not start at all. I undid my kill switch connection on the blue wire and the bike started just fine.

My question is; What did I do wrong? I'm not mechanical or electrical and don't understand why it would not start again. Can someone please shed some light on this subject?

thanks.

edit: I posted this without doing a search. Sorry about that. I will do some searching and see what I can come up with.

Last edited:
I use the white wire on my king's ht, but people say you shouldn't cause it does something to the magneto? I dunno, but all I do know is that my motor has around 3600 miles on it and it still starts and runs fine.
Oh, and crabdance, the original wire is junk, mine always grounded itself out for no reason, I don't trust switches, that's why I use my setup.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/alex1813/bikes046.jpg
I just grab hold of the exposed wiring by my headset bolt, and ground it out myself, by touching it either to my headset bolt, or my gas cap.

Those cheap happytime switches tend to stick. Try wiggling it a bit, if that doesn't work go down to the auto parts store and check out some good switches or push buttons.

Oh, and if any of you guys decide to do something like I did, you might be a little surprised the first time you kill it. But you will get used to it.;)

Kill Switch Update

Well, I got me a toggle switch this morning and hooked it up to my bike. I tried hooking it up to the "blue" wire but that did not work. Then I tried the "black" wire and that DID work. That doesn't make sense to me but an electrician I'm not... anyway I did get it to work and it works great! So for a little over 4 dollars I have a nice toggle switch that works as a kill switch.

Just thought I would catch everyone up on what's going on here at the home front.

Oh... and I have to agree with everyone... the stock kill switch is pretty lame when compared to a standard toggle switch.

Back