Kill Switch Wiring

sure, unless your spark decide to jump across the switch contacts while you're riding

sure, unless your spark decide to jump across the switch contacts while you're riding
So the answer would be to use a switch that had a big enough contact gap that could not be jumped by a typical .024" - .040" or so spark. An electrical man would do that with no sweat.

I just had my kill switch go bad lucky I cut the black wire got spark to the plug.

But now half kill it with clutch throttle and brake does anyone know of negative effects of killing the motor with this method?

It's fine to kill it like that, maybe just barely slightly more wear on the clutch pads but probably not even a noticable amount.

I have read a lot of post about which wires to hook your kill switch to. Some say connect it like your manual says to:

CDI Blue to Engine Blue
CDI Black to Engine Black
Kill switch Yellow/red to Engine White
Kill Switch Green to Ground

Some people say this:

Don't connect the kill button to the white wire! (It can sometimes short out the mag coil!)
Connect the kill wires to the blacks & blues, & cap off the white wire!!

I am not sure what is the correct way. I want to use a kill switch, but I don't want to damage either the cdi or mag. Can anyone shed some light on these 2 ways or other ways of hooking up a kill switch? Thanks for the help & suggestions

Pete
Some engines (like mine) don't even come with a white wire. I'd think the second way.

Thank you everyone for your input, I have decided to just use a little string tied to the spark plug boot and give it a good yank to stop the engine each time.
lol... Well, in an emergency you can always yank the boot off.

Resurrected lol. It's not really all summed up yet though. It's funny how some people would rather ground spark voltage than magneto voltage lol. Why not feel the tingle if it's raining or humid outside lol.

Back