kill switch

Mark 1971

Local time
7:11 PM
So, as I am only 1 month into this motorized bicycle thing. As I understand the kill switch on my bike literally puts a dead short to the magneto ..I took electronics in trade school.worked on cell phone tower lighting system for 20+ years. Causing a short circut in the magneto windings should in theory shorten its life..A parallel dwsd short seems counter productive . Wouldnt a kill swith in a N/C configuration work better as to "break" the circuit instead be more beneficial?

My suspicion is that getting access to this necessary wire is all but impossible. Granted, I have never seen it. Your reasoning is sound Mark, although I'm positive the wire size of the primary winding is large enough to handle the current of a direct short. Besides, you'll have enough other issues keeping this engine running smoothly over the coming years.

So, as I am only 1 month into this motorized bicycle thing. As I understand the kill switch on my bike literally puts a dead short to the magneto ..I took electronics in trade school.worked on cell phone tower lighting system for 20+ years. Causing a short circut in the magneto windings should in theory shorten its life..A parallel dwsd short seems counter productive . Wouldnt a kill swith in a N/C configuration work better as to "break" the circuit instead be more beneficial?
Back in the day, there used to be a little tab that when touched to the exposed sparkplug lead would kill the engine.

Back in the day, there used to be a little tab that when touched to the exposed sparkplug lead would kill the engine.
A shorted secondly wire..ie the spark pkug to ground would induce excess current into the CDI ..those CDI 's look pretty small and weak. I still believe that wiring a NC ( normaly closed) in series wirh magneto to the CDI box is better. When i hit the kill..brakes the circuit to the cdi box..also, i was thinking a fuzeable wayerproff link inline to use as a removable form of anti theft protection..wirh a big ass lock of course

Back