Kill the vibration

You need to have the bike frame mechanically isolated from the the motor. the motor needs to be isolated from transmitting vibrations. The rubber you use must be a sufficient hardness and thickness to hold the weight and dampen things.

This looks very interesting, and I spent a good 5 hours yesterday making my own "soft mount"...I have a bolt going through the frame in the front, so I made a sandwich of 3/4" flat fender washers, with 2 rubber grommets inside. I only have rubber bike tube on the back, and what's listed above looks pretty nice. I may try it.

The end result was that up to about 20mph or so, you don't even feel the motor, which is great, but getting closer to 30, there's a lot more vibration than before, I think. Maybe the rubber I'm using is too soft?

I also found rubber "corks" at HD, so I bought a couple of those, too, but didn't do anything with them. They're 3/4" tall, and maybe the same width at the top of the bigger end. I can drill them out, and maybe slice a bit off the top and bottom, and sandwich the frame in between...so that I'll try later on in the week because I have to go to Atlanta for business in the AM.

I'll post again then if I change up my install.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I'm going to give these a try out. They thread right into the engine.

9376kc3ws.gif

http://www.mcmaster.com/#item/9232K15

I'll just need to fab a small bracket to weld to the frame to support them. I hope they won't tear. Only time will tell!

That looks quite a pretty good solution, you need a substantial barrier between the metal on metal. Looks pretty good to me, you would have to be careful to put as little tension stress on the rubber as possible though.

can any one reccomend a good type of rubber for dampening? any experiences from using a flimsy bike tube up to some type of hard rubber?

nice :)

I think its nice. but I was thinking when the spring is compressed by vibration or hiting a larg pot hole there would be for a split sec a gap ether at the top where head of bolt meets the mounting plate or at bottom were bole meets frame I think I would and a nut and washer under plate forceing the gap to go to bottom and then add a very small spring there just under frame so when this happens the nut at bottom won't slam against frame :) what you think:cool:

Hi again sorry about my spelling in my above post but I think you know what I mean. LOL the problem with trying to make a little cash from your invention is that most of us could fabricate our own just by looking at a pic but if you made it cheep or better yet part of an upgrade kit then I think you would have a chance my friend just made a great spring loaded tention pully for the chain I will get him to make me one and post a pic :) its supper smooth and if your chain is a little jumpy from hole in sprocket being a little off center it takes care of that too LOL :)

can any one reccomend a good type of rubber for dampening? any experiences from using a flimsy bike tube up to some type of hard rubber?
How about, getting rid of the aluminium mounting blocks and making them out of a chopped up rubber brick, the type you use when you learn to swim. Not sure if you all have those sort of things in america, they look like this: http://www.lifesaversdirect.co.uk/catalogue/browse/pid/142/

Fastboy

Back