killing magnetos what am i doing wrong

luciusbubblepot

Local time
2:57 PM
In a grand total of 4 hous ride time i have gone through 2stock cdis and 2 magneto coils first one totally my fualt second set magneto was sanded at ground white wire taped other conections taped only common element was the spark plug also no kill switch wired in ... it seems to happen just as my motor starts to hit this nice smooth spot at top end ... is burning up cdi and magnetos a common problem

Stock pk80 motor

since a stator coil can easily be ruined by a faulty connection between it and the CDI you should only rely on a soldered connection there.
Also important is the ground connection of the stator coils frame. shellac needs to be cleaned off of where the screws heads press onto it.
Stock CDIs are crap, period. Theit timing is not right and they are made by slave labor in china not paying attention to detail. I had one that according to its mood either output with a timing curve or with none at all.

I bought me a rocket racing cdi and my new magneto coil just came in ... i will be puting the new coil on in a week when i get home ... i think the rocket cdi is using your cdi scems you posted on here ... havent got to try it yet ... but is the coil thing common problem ... and are there any upgrades for the magneto coil ... im thinking of scrapping a chainsaw and see if the flywheel coil could fit ... any thoughts

the standard stator coil is good as long as its connections are kept top notch.
Post some pics of the Rocket CDI. I'd like to see it. Show the internal components board if you can.
They say that being copied is a high form of flattery. :)

Soon as i get home ill post a few pics... hope this coil lasts a while and i will solder the conections this time and sand my contact point extra shiney