Killing the engine.

How do you kill your engine?

• Total voters
S

sherryc8641

Since I have ridden my motorized bike, I have killed the engine by squeezing the transition clutch then turning the throttle (so it dies) and/or turning the throttle then squeezing the clutch (so it dies). The engine dies since I cut off all or most of the air. I don't use the kill switch since it is much easier to kill the engine this way. But I got curious and want to know if I should stop this, since it might be bad. Or if I should just continue.

I use a kill switch but I don't use the one that came with the kit because it is worthless. I glued the red button on the factory kill switch so it wouldn't move when depressed and then installed a MICRO SPST (single pole, single pole) switch that is much more reliable.

I use my kill switch very often. I kill the engine when I'm coming up on other bikes so I don't disturb them with my engine noise. I use the kill switch when I see a COP, and when I'm coasting down a hill.

i took the metal strap out of the included kill switch, shaped it, used the screw and nut in one hole & spliced a bigger-gauge wire to the other, wrapped it up in electrical tape...i call it my "snake-bite" kill-switch, it's flawless & looks pretty neat, too:
41_snakebite_1.jpg

I like that Augi.
So far we just bogged it. But when we initially wired the switch it didn't work, and unwrapping all the electrical tape and redoing it is way more work than just popping the clutch. I like the switch idea personally (and custom is mandatory (yet still cheap)), it's just a matter of time. I wondered if it was hard on the engine too, but I got pretty good at being gentle with the bogkill.

I think DrewD meant SPST to be single pole, single throw.

I just wrapped kill switch wire around the white wire comes off the engine, it worked fine, but it kills motor too often while riding so i took it off.

i heard the clutches were the strongers part of these motors, i have a killswitch just incase the cops roll up on me.

I never installed my kill switch. I just kill it with either the clutch or the throttle on the carb

The poll seems to indicate that the kill switch is a better means of stopping the engine.
Plus I voted that I use the clutch to kill it yet I agree that the switch is better. It seems to me that the switch is also quite a bit easier.

kill switch

I actually installed a discreet black plastic toggle switch for my kill switch. You can't even tell it's there unless you know where to look. It's nice and clean. The best part is that I don't have to worry about anybody joyriding my bike (like when my roommate would have our friends over while I'm gone). They'll never get it started without finding that switch first.

Back