Killing the engine.

How do you kill your engine?

• Total voters
So far no one has said that it is a bad thing to kill the engine with the clutch. Is it?

ok, i'll pipe in on that.

you're purposely mechanically-overloading the drive-train to definitively "kill" an engine that wants to keep running, how good could that be?

with a switch, all you "kill" is an electrical charge, depriving the engine of an element it needs to keep running, so it "dies" on its' own.

personally, i don't have the bucks to replace clutch plates and who-knows-what-else because of undue stress and extra wear & tear.

i just hit my destination at speed, pull & lock the clutch, coast into the parking lot at idle & hit the switch as i roll up to the front door, now that is cool to see & hear, i bet 8)

that help at all, sherryc8641?

I agree with Augi 100%. You have two ways to shut off your motor. By stressing it out so bad it can no longer operate, or by hitting the kill switch. I'll take the kill switch for sure as a no-stress way to turn it off.

I also love just rolling in and killing the motor at speed. Another thing is that it's not always a good idea to drive a bicycle on the road in Orange County, CA. With the kill switch, I can shut the motor off and roll up on the sidewalk for a while, then start it back up when I get to a spot where the traffic is more sane or there's a bicycle lane.

I'm for the kill switch, without a doubt.

Can you guys give me another tip?

Can any one give me a picture of their setup on their handel bar with the kill switch, brakes, throttle, ect? The way I have my set up make it very hard to use the kill switch. Also I have no clue how to make it better so I have easier axsess to the kill switch, and still have good control of every one of my controls. So can you give me a few tips on how you have your good working setups on your bike?

I use the kill switch that came with the kit - it IS handy for switching off to get through a populatd area without having to slow down.

Re: kill switch

Blaze said:
I actually installed a discreet black plastic toggle switch for my kill switch. You can't even tell it's there unless you know where to look. It's nice and clean. The best part is that I don't have to worry about anybody joyriding my bike (like when my roommate would have our friends over while I'm gone). They'll never get it started without finding that switch first.

Blaze: I'm very interested in your setup. Can you elaborate more on it, or PM me with more info and maybe some pics? I'm looking for a way to toggle mine, as well, so no one knows how to start it except me....

I am very intrested in it too. Could you describe it and talk about it more, Blaze?

Blaze wrote:
I actually installed a discreet black plastic toggle switch for my kill switch. You can't even tell it's there unless you know where to look. It's nice and clean. The best part is that I don't have to worry about anybody joyriding my bike (like when my roommate would have our friends over while I'm gone). They'll never get it started without finding that switch first.

Re: kill switch

Barret said:
Blaze said:

Blaze: I'm very interested in your setup. Can you elaborate more on it, or PM me with more info and maybe some pics? I'm looking for a way to toggle mine, as well, so no one knows how to start it except me....

good idea. I'd like to hear more, too. you don't have to tell us where you hid your switch. just how you wired & mounted it.
dave

I still have my kill switches mounted on the handlebars, within thumbs reach.

I used on old SPST toggle.
I weld in head tube gusset plates on *most* of my motorized creations; with this one I drilled a hole through this plate and mounted my toggle kill switch with the ground wire from the switch screwed into a seperate drilled and tapped hole . Worked pretty well until I was goofing around one day and knocked the bike over, which broke off one of the leads. I'll get another switch pretty soon...
I'm working on the whizzer right now so that one (80cc) is in dry dock.
Rif

Back