KLaxon hand motorcycle/bicycle horns

Hoodoo

Local time
6:33 AM
Just picked up a hand operated what I think is a klaxon style horn, the seller says it's an annoying sound and that makes me hopeful. Have one on one of our model T's (larger) and it is indeed an annoying sound, something like a crow scratching his beak across a chalkboard while cawing. Not this smooth electrical oogah stuff in these new horns. Operates by pressing down on a button bar which I think turns a wheel inside. I wanted one on my faux 1909 so I could squawk back at the Model T. I can't find any replicas and apparently they are getting pricey (paid enough for mine). The one I am getting is red, not as pretty as the black ones, but I hope it will work. Will put it on my 1909 Faux indian which is now converging into construction, going to use a stretched worksman frame (used a husky before) and monarch front end. I have a nephew that is offering me a free powder coat and I had and extra engine so off to the races, actally will be a cruiser Indian, not a boardtracker. Anybody else using one of these? I assume they were made for early motor cycles and bicycles. The one I am getting has it first patent 1909 and last 1925. I guess boardtrackers would not have had them but then again who is actually going to be in a boardtrack race?

i put one on my faux 1910 harley [a timeless motors unit]...i figure that as it won't stop all that well at least they will know i'm coming....

Just got the horn...it's GREAT, drove my son out of the living room. Looking at the red, maybe it was on an indian.
How is your Harley a FAUX? I mean timeless has made a pretty darn good copy haven't they....would love to see one of these in action. Have you taken any videos yet?
You have learned the rule that works for our Model T's: never point the vehicle at anything you do not wish to run over. I was at an event on my faux 1909 and people would not get out of the way in the parking lot....it was bizarre, I had to drive around them (maybe this horn will help). Apparently there is this disconnect when they see stuff like this.
Would love to have someone with one of the timeless bikes in the Austin/San Antonio area, have several living history uses for it. Any chance you are a Texan?
Are you happy with the timeless?

I also received a Candle Lamp for the bike...it was advertised as a carbide headlight but it is the earlier candle type, no biggee, it looks great. Have to fab a mount for it.

Al

Pictures would be nice!:D

Terry

Turns out it is a carbide lamp. Took it apart and it's kind of facinating. Will need to figure out how it works and see if I can light it up. The carbide container portion has four parts.
Here is the horn also. Will need to fab proper connectors for a tight fit.

Attachments

• solar lamp.JPG
    solar lamp.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,125
  • horn.JPG
    horn.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,198
I like them both!
I have a small carbide lamp collection (2).
The lamps are very simple in operation, but get dirty quickly.

They both will look really good on your bike for sure.

I like them both!
I have a small carbide lamp collection (2).
The lamps are very simple in operation, but get dirty quickly.

They both will look really good on your bike for sure.

The horns are kind of pricey right now, but perhaps as more come out of the woodwork, maybe the price will get to reasonable. I think I was lucky to get mine for $60.00.

My uncle had one in his old hot rod. The sound reminded me of sticking a soda straw into a fan, only louder and with a metallic tone. Definitely an attention getter!

Just used my horn

Just used my horn for the first time on the running bike, works great! Kind of a OOOu without the gah! Was at a car parking lot show event in Buda Texas, everyone was noticing, especially the girls....this bike is like a cute puppy. In my outfit I looked like "curly" of the three stooges...but oh, well, it's fun.
In this pick the horn isn't installed yet, but it shows how you can enhance your bike in conjunction with other vintage stuff. This Chevy, can't remember if it
is a 55 or 57 was recently used in a Brad Pitt movie in Texas, the film has not been released yet.

Attachments

• DSCN0427.jpg
    DSCN0427.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,513
Back