Knocking gt8o

J

Jdh

I have a gt80 reed valve engine with keihin clone carb and a sbp expansion chamber. Engine was running pretty strong and I had no complaints until it started knocking. I pulled the head off and the chrome had been coming off the cylinder on the exhaust side. Anyhow top end needs to be replaced. Can anybody tell me what might have caused the knocking and the flaking. Also what replacement parts are compatible with that engine. I've got a 29er with 40 tooth rear sprocket and the most I could get out of it was 37 mph. What should I expect out of that set up? Thanks for your help.

Most likely too high compression did you test it after you made all the upgrades? If its too high will destroy bearings and like you said peel the chrome from the cylinder.

running in the pipe powerband creates extra compression which means you needed to retard the ignition timing, which you didn't.
I highly recommend getting my Jaguar CDI with high voltage coil which is suited for modified engines.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a new gt80 ported cylinder, piston, rings, needle bearing and wrist pin. Do you think this will fix the knocking? I've been reading about the Jaguar cdi, and I like what I've read. Didnt think i would get to talk directly to Jaguar though. Is anybody familiar with the gt80 from kingsmotorized bike. Is it a p.o.s or what? Does the head that comes on the gt80 have to much compression? If so what head do you recomend? What kind of rpm can I expect out of the engine with the Jaguar cdi? I re jetted the carb with 70 was the number on the main jet Im using and I was using redline synthetic oil at 40 to 1. What's the chance of the bottom end being hurt? Thanks for everyone's input.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered gt80 ported cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pin and needle bearing. Do you think this will fix the knocking? I've been reading about the Jaguar cdi and I like what I've read. I didn't know I would get to talk directly to Jaguar though. Is anybody familiar with the kings motorized bike gt80? Is it a p.o.s or what? I re-jetted the carb with 70 was on the main jet running redline synthetic oil at 40 to 1. What kind of rpm can I expect out of this engine with the Jaguar cdi. And can I still run the high compression head without destroying another cylinder? What's the Chance's of the bottom end being hurt? Do you think that's where the knocking is coming from?

compression causes the stock chrome plating to flake, so here's a quick primer on compression

for easy math, lets assume a 66cc with a 6cc head and 1.2:1 crankcase compression. basically a stock engine with a fred head

while the exhaust port is open, the piston isn't compressing anything, so any displacement below the top of the exhaust port isn't relevant to our calculations yet. lets say, again for easy math, you have 50cc of compressible space. to calculate your compression you find the ratio of compressible space to combustion space. in this case it'll round to 8.3:1. assuming you're at sea level and everything seals good, that means if you multiply (8.3*14.7)*1.2 you'll get your compression in PSI. in this case, that'll be 146.4 PSI. not too bad. the problem is when you get on the pipe, that cranking pressure spikes, ideally to 176.4 PSI in this case. this is because the expansion chamber effectively works to seal off that exhaust port.

176 is already sounding nasty, but then you gotta remember we're just talking cranking pressures, not combustion pressures. combustion pressure works on a logarithmic scale, at least to a certain point. a 10 PSI increase in cranking pressure can mean a 1000 PSI increase in combustion pressure. there's no easy way to determine what the exact combustion pressure is, but it could easily be a difference of 20,000 PSI in the cylinder. as you can imagine, that's not easy on these cheap plated cylinders.

in my opinion, if you want to cram a ton of compression in these, you need to either get them replated by a company with employees that are paid more than 10 cents an hour, get them sleeved, or simply be prepared to replace the top ends every few hundred miles.

if I remember right, last I checked my engine was turning 204 PSI. I get away with it thanks to the help of a replated cylinder and bushings instead of rod bearings. plus a little bit of avgas.

the CDI isn't going to help you with RPM either, but jaguar CDIs are tested to 11000 if I recall. if you want more RPM, that's in the port timing. personally, I use a stock CDI with an adjustable magnet, just have the timing retarded for the whole rev range. when I built my bike jag CDIs weren't yet capable of my RPM requirements and I've been stubborn about switching.

butre, where did you get your cylinder replated at?
you're the first! congratulations
Jdh, all the stock heads give low compression. Unfortunately all the aftermarket heads give too high compression so with them you have to use two gaskets. But I think the stock head is fine after taking off about .8mm from its mating surface.

a company called millennium technologies. for $209 its a bargain compared to getting it sleeved.

that's the only real solution unless you keep the low stock compression.
check out US Chrome also, anyone interested in getting your cylinder replated

Back