KTM Build

I'm fine with adjusting a transmission I just don't see how your getting these crazy numbers. This is just about as much power as an Athena just with a transmission. I'm not gonna be going everywhere at 65mph I'm still gonna cruise at like 30. If I go on YouTube I see some ppl that throw KTM engines on a non reinforced mtb, I'm not saying it's smart but I'm saying they did it. My bike only brings me to and from school if I don't wanna walk and riding with my dirt bike friends, I don't need it to be hyper reliable

Look at pic, @ nick919 posted of a water cooled engine on bike, notice the billet case, no ktm engine. The problem lies in the ktm clutch, when using it on a bicycle. It's a achievable build, but plan on spending lots of money. The 1st thing you will have to modify is the clutch on ktm, & if memory serves me right, it will cost $200-$300 just to have the clutch modified. I definitely would have a extra bike to ride, while building a ktm powered bike. Trust me I've spent countless hours researching this exact build, & it's not cheap, nor is a straight forward build.

Look at pic, @ nick919 posted of a water cooled engine on bike, notice the billet case, no ktm engine. The problem lies in the ktm clutch, when using it on a bicycle. It's a achievable build, but plan on spending lots of money. The 1st thing you will have to modify is the clutch on ktm, & if memory serves me right, it will cost $200-$300 just to have the clutch modified. I definitely would have a extra bike to ride, while building a ktm powered bike. Trust me I've spent countless hours researching this exact build, & it's not cheap, nor is a straight forward build.
Ok I take your word for it, if it did have a manual transmission I feel that I would have a lot more control and the build would be simpler.

Ok I take your word for it, if it did have a manual transmission I feel that I would have a lot more control and the build would be simpler.
I'm not trying to discourage you on your build, I'm just saying it's not going to be as easy as just putting a ktm engine on a bicycle. You are going to spend lots of money & spend a lot of time adjusting/modifying things, just to ride the bike. I'm just trying to say this is a very involved build. Lmao & if you do build this & got a girl friend, you might as well divorce her now, cause your going to be married to this build!!!🤣😂🤣

I'm not trying to discourage you on your build, I'm just saying it's not going to be as easy as just putting a ktm engine on a bicycle. You are going to spend lots of money & spend a lot of time adjusting/modifying things, just to ride the bike. I'm just trying to say this is a very involved build. Lmao & if you do build this & got a girl friend, you might as well divorce her now, cause your going to be married to this build!!!🤣😂🤣
Well good thing I'm single! I gotta get some winter gear and a new spark plug to go riding today with my buddy. I have the 44t on right now but might swap for a 40t before I ride.

Quick question, can I use ahead gasket like this one with a minarelli head? They ship with really thin bendy gaskets so I bet mine is out.

Attachments

• s-l500 (1).jpg
    s-l500 (1).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 39
I'm not sure everyone here has the energy to guide him through a build like this. 😉

The head gasket… gotta check your squish. I could never get down to .71 on mine with that type .5mm aluminum gasket. Well, all the ones I have are .5mm.
I do reuse the thin Mineralli kit gaskets. Sometimes I have to roll a metal rod over the ends to flatten bends around the stud holes and an occasional anneal after repeated use.

I don’t know anything about the KTM engines but I do know this…

If you plan on having a 15HP engine it would be advisable to have the moped wheels and tires, a good set of triple tree suspension forks, and pit bike disc brakes at a minimum.

Once you get up to 50mph and above things happen very fast.
There’s no way I would trust bicycle tires, rims, rigid bicycle forks, and light disc brakes if you intend on lots of high speed riding.

Your frame may be able to withstand the punishment but running the other bicycle components I listed would not be smart.
IF something out of the ordinary would happen like a tire failure or other stroke of bad luck at 50+ my avatar may have to come get you.

The head gasket… gotta check your squish. I could never get down to .71 on mine with that type .5mm aluminum gasket. Well, all the ones I have are .5mm.
I do reuse the thin Mineralli kit gaskets. Sometimes I have to roll a metal rod over the ends to flatten bends around the stud holes and an occasional anneal after repeated use.

I don’t know anything about the KTM engines but I do know this…

If you plan on having a 15HP engine it would be advisable to have the moped wheels and tires, a good set of triple tree suspension forks, and pit bike disc brakes at a minimum.

Once you get up to 50mph and above things happen very fast.
There’s no way I would trust bicycle tires, rims, rigid bicycle forks, and light disc brakes if you intend on lots of high speed riding.

Your frame may be able to withstand the punishment but running the other bicycle components I listed would not be smart.
IF something out of the ordinary would happen like a tire failure or other stroke of bad luck at 50+ my avatar may have to come to get you.
Coming downhill on narrow, curvy, mountain roads at 50+ mph can be scary. Especially when there's a 50+ foot stone wall on one side and a 50+ foot drop-off on the other side.

Back