LakeTahoeNewbie

Local time
3:02 PM
Hi my name is Randy and I live in South Lake Tahoe. I built my first MB last week and was already was hit on Tuesday the day before Halloween by someone making a last moment right turn. Luckily I was wearing my BMX or Skateboarding Mongoose style helmet.The bike's front part of frame is toasted... And my butt hurts from landing in the pavement first after shattering his windshield with my back. A bit of his paint is in the helmet and there are quite a bit of scratches on it. But nothing on me is broken just bruised and sore, so I am luckily than most when I am in a town where at least 1 cyclist is killed at weekly here even without motors. I had never wore a helmet till I motorized a bike, and when I got hit I was traveling no faster than I could normally pedal. So maybe motorizing saved my life ... I used the $90 Wish 80cc silver motor kit attached to a Big 5 Trek 7speed road bike. Well it was a learning experience for sure... Brakes Brakes Brakes and bigger mirrors and brighter lights because as always 'he never saw me'.
!!!!

Holy crap! Sounds like you are pretty lucky that it wasn't worse than it was. I hope you can heal up fast! Also, I hope you can get your bike going again, these things really are fun to ride.

Thank you @Tyler6357, I took one week off work now I'm back to work and .. pedaling. My next build is halfway put together, but is on pause, waiting for brakes and a double brake puller/thumb throttle.

@Wrench The guy gunned passed me and hit me on purpose because he has to beat the biker... I was in front of him, he passed me and turned with no signal. It happens everyday in this town. 3 other people at my work have been hit the same way at my work just this year. 1 bicyclist is killed almost weekly in this town while multiple bicyclists are hit daily. I have since added mirrors to even my non motorized pedal bikes.I was running with 2 lights on front blinking and one in the back. I'm 41 years old and have been riding bikes, horses, ATVs, and dirt bikes since I was 6. I have 2 saftey engineers as parents, I have road 4 lane highways ..to back country roads... to the streets of Pheniox and had never been hit. South Lake Tahoe is just the most dangerous plain in general that I have ever rode because law enforcement refuses to every find fault in 'accidents' in this town. If you can hit a biker and know you will not get a ticket it becomes a sport.... I have learned mirrors and upgraded brakes are must. Want a fun experience, ride my route to work when all the tourist are in town.... Make sure your insurance is up to date though.

Thanks for the heads up I'm not looking to break any speed records, tonight after work I went on... Gasp.... The sidewalk with a friend to his house think we topped out at 10 mph. 2 cops passed us didn't even pause. I put the engine on a huffy like the tires 2.125 width I thinkbut anything over 15 feels wierd... The first one I built the Trek road bike seemed much better fit to the engine but the tires were like riding on skates... I don't like the Huffy's hubs they seems very weak both front and back... Kinda kicking myself in the ass but the bike that would work best I think in town is over priced for a 12 year old bike it's a Trek '06 3 speed internal hub for 250 it already has a nice little black and flame paint job on it. He also has a '03 8 speed internal Trek cruiser with a single springer front fork. He wants 300 for that I want the 06 with the fork from the 8 speed. I think 200 would be fair but he didn't seem that willing to deal when I talked to him kinda makes me understand why he may have went out of business.

Back