Law in New York City and New York State

WesBarclay

Local time
5:39 AM
Anyone reading this in New York City?

I'm just wondering about the law here... from what I've read almost nothing is legal.... you have your mopeds ... class A, B and C and as I understand it.... legally if something does not fit into these catagories you could actually get arrested but probably you would get some sort of ticket... (Would that be a ticket against your drivers license?)

But in the past year, I have seen some changes here in the Big Apple.
I've noticed the local messengers going from regular bikes to illegal electric bikes big time.... and of course they are quiet. Perhaps that's why they can seemingly get away with it. Is there anyone here with a noisy gas engine bike in New York City who is running around and getting away with it?

I'm thinking of getting the friction Stanton Kit with the Suburu Robin EH035. My main reason is that I want to be able to take the bike onto public transportating including trains but first removing the motor and keeping that part in a bag.
The trains will accept a bike if it's off peak but nothing with a gas motor attached. With the friction system it should be easy to remove a few bolts in a few minutes and you have an almost plain bike that is acceptable.

Why gas? I can' afford electric and would need at least two of those expensive batteries. Any thoughts on all this?

Its illegal to take explosives on public transportation, yea they get fed $$$$ so the feds have jurisdiction. Yes gas is considered an explosive. I'll bet theres 10 different anti -terror laws you could be charged with the way things are nowadays.

Explosives???? You mean like someone coming back from shopping who has bought some Benzene or Paint Thinner? Arrest that lady....!

Or how about batteries that are not Gel Cells?....etc, etc....

Now I'm not taking this device on TWA or United airlines...I dray the line at that but I've never been patted down going on the LIRR (That's our local RR)

Going on a rail road or a bus is not compicated... of course that might change in the future, but for now.....

Perhaps I should just stay home and hide under my blinky....?

Last edited:
New york is the worst for this hobby. Anything with a motor is supposed to be registered.
Your plan would work IF you obtain a scrap moped (like I did) and convert your ride to a moped. You need head, tail and stop light.

Not true anymore... there are thousands of electrics out there... at least half of the delivery people are using electric bikes, mopeds... call them what you will.... as far as the headlights,etc.... I've spoken to some people today who have registered older Solex's
that did not have these and got them registered anyway.... and have not upgraded them and are doing just fine. I'm talking about people who know what day it is....

There are now a few stores selling electric bikes and I've seen a few big store such as Best Buy selling electric powered bikes and boards... That was about 6 months ago... don't know if it's still going on... Perhaps things are losening up...

Last edited:
Wes- everything you see that you just mentioned is non- legal.
The DMV does have a website where u can find the various laws.
I suppose the police in NYC have better things to do than stop non- registered bikes, but around here, it is different. Electric IS easier to fly under the radar gas sure isn't.

If the gray area here in co gets any tougher electric is the way to go. With tech and time those lithium polymer battery prices will fall and then you can probably get 50 miles to a charge. Heck most electric bikes you dont know theyre electric unless you do a long double take lol.

Oh I know it's illegal, but so was having sex in Pennsylvania on a Sunday illegal until they changed that blue law.... point is... a law is not legal that is not inforced.... (Shouldn't be on the books)... I'm hearing that the law is about to change in New York but New York City is suppose to get tough on all these electric bikes that are either being driven or are in plain site on the sidewalks.... My other idea is to get a Solex, get a canvas bag and cut the bottom out and install a zipper and hang it from the handle bars, thus hiding the motor so that I can get it on the train. How's that for extreme?

New York State - eBike Law

The Electric Bicycle Bill has been sitting before the New York State lawmakers since the beginning of the Century.
But never passed!
Do not blame the Assembly!!!
The Bill passes the Assembly ... unanimously! ... almost every year.

2001-2002
A00091 Summary:
BILL:A00091DDATE:05/30/2002MOTION: YEA/NAY:138/0

2003-2004
A00588 Votes:

BILL:A00588 DATE:03/31/2003MOTION: YEA/NAY:147/0
BILL:A00588 DATE:03/08/2004MOTION: YEA/NAY:144/0

2005-2006
A00071 Votes:

BILL:A00071 DATE:05/02/2005MOTION: YEA/NAY:138/0
BILL:A00071 DATE:01/17/2006MOTION: YEA/NAY:135/0

2007-2008
A00189 Votes:

BILL:A00189 DATE:02/26/2007MOTION: YEA/NAY:136/0
BILL:A00189 DATE:01/23/2008MOTION: YEA/NAY:140/1

2009-2010
A02393 Votes:
BILL:A02393 DATE:03/02/2009MOTION: YEA/NAY:127/1
BILL:A02393 DATE:02/22/2010MOTION: YEA/NAY:145/0

2011-2012
BILL:A01350 DATE:03/07/2011MOTION: YEA/NAY:129/5
BILL:A01350 DATE:01/23/2012MOTION: YEA/NAY:136/4

Every single year ... the State Senate kills, or allows the bill to die!

Why?
Such a disparity of unanimous support, from the Assembly vs continued Senate rejection is confusing ... to say the least ...

Back