Lawn Mower Muffler

Sharif

Local time
3:30 AM
I recently placed an order for this lawn mower atlas muffler, was wondering if this would actually work or would it cause issues I am not aware of?

WIll be attaching it to a banana exhaust, ran it for a while straight, but the noise was intolerable over time. Placed an order for a noise dampening foam as well, the ones that are used in cars. It'll be for the clutch side to hopefully reduce some noise there as well.

Item in question
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/atlas-muffler-2-4hp-for-briggs-and-stratton/1001134472

I doubt it would hurt much as those banana pipes are basically noisemakers and don't really add any power.

If you really wanted to see a huge difference, slap on an MZ65 expansion chamber (bolts right up) and attach a silencer (the flange will press fit onto the stinger without modification) for about $123 and literally double your power with very little overall exhaust noise.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-BICYCLE-MZ-65-High-Performance-Pipe-BLACK/283579679386
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ONOY9

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Extreme I don't want to sound mean. But Some people don't have that kind of money to spend. Or, he just doesn't want a big pipe sticking out the side. He asked about the muffler, not a good exhaust. I have the banana, it worked fine for me, gained a lot of top end.

I recently placed an order for this lawn mower atlas muffler, was wondering if this would actually work or would it cause issues I am not aware of?

WIll be attaching it to a banana exhaust, ran it for a while straight, but the noise was intolerable over time. Placed an order for a noise dampening foam as well, the ones that are used in cars. It'll be for the clutch side to hopefully reduce some noise there as well.

Item in question
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/atlas-muffler-2-4hp-for-briggs-and-stratton/1001134472

View attachment 89770
Should be noticeably quieter, you can also try stuffing steel wool into there.

Briggs-style "cigar" muffler. They come in 2 sizes, the smaller one, in OP's post, and a larger one (advertised as for up to 8HP engines). I've never used either one in a 2-stroke application, but I have used both sizes at different times on my Huasheng's flexpipe exhaust. The smaller version is, IMO, not worth it, I found it quite restrictive, although it was relatively quiet. The larger one keeps a straight-pipe's tone, but without as much noise reflecting off nearby buildings.

Video of my brother's bike running around with the larger Briggs cigar on the day we both installed one on our respective bikes:

Edit: at the segment where I say "that's awesome" that's because his bike sounded kind of like the fake engine sound for the DeLorean in Back to the Future.

Briggs-style "cigar" muffler. They come in 2 sizes, the smaller one, in OP's post, and a larger one (advertised as for up to 8HP engines). I've never used either one in a 2-stroke application, but I have used both sizes at different times on my Huasheng's flexpipe exhaust. The smaller version is, IMO, not worth it, I found it quite restrictive, although it was relatively quiet. The larger one keeps a straight-pipe's tone, but without as much noise reflecting off nearby buildings.

Video of my brother's bike running around with the larger Briggs cigar on the day we both installed one on our respective bikes:

Edit: at the segment where I say "that's awesome" that's because his bike sounded kind of like the fake engine sound for the DeLorean in Back to the Future.

I am wondering if I should cancel the order, personally I just want more torque to go up hill, I find that the bike struggles. I straight piped it for a little while for giggles and it goes up hills way easier. It does actually sound good in the video lol

Extreme I don't want to sound mean. But Some people don't have that kind of money to spend. Or, he just doesn't want a big pipe sticking out the side. He asked about the muffler, not a good exhaust. I have the banana, it worked fine for me, gained a lot of top end.

Should be noticeably quieter, you can also try stuffing steel wool into there.
You are right on that part, just a student here. If I had that kind of money, would have probably been able to afford insurance for a car.

With that said, might look into that next year if I don't find myself already wanting to upgrade to a motorcycle.
Never wanted to own a motorcycle, but have a motorised bike completely changed my perspective. Only issue being riding in the harsh winters here.

Edit.
If I find that it's easy to open up, will 100 percent be doing that.

Edit 2
Won't the steel wool catch fire?

I doubt it would hurt much as those banana pipes are basically noisemakers and don't really add any power.

If you really wanted to see a huge difference, slap on an MZ65 expansion chamber (bolts right up) and attach a silencer (the flange will press fit onto the stinger without modification) for about $123 and literally double your power with very little overall exhaust noise.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-BICYCLE-MZ-65-High-Performance-Pipe-BLACK/283579679386
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ONOY9
I will look into that next year, my goal ATM is to get the bike a stable working state I don't need work on every few days once I get back to having classes everyday.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You are right on that part, just a student here. If I had that kind of money, would have probably been able to afford insurance for a car.

With that said, might look into that next year if I don't find myself already wanting to upgrade to a motorcycle.
Never wanted to own a motorcycle, but have a motorised bike completely changed my perspective. Only issue being riding in the harsh winters here.

Edit.
If I find that it's easy to open up, will 100 percent be doing that.

Edit 2
Won't the steel wool catch fire?

I don't think it will catch fire, it shouldn't, i've seen people stuff it into 250 two stroke dirt bikes to make them quiter.

I just did a quick read up. You may want to use thicker steel wool, but eventually it will rust away. I think it may last you half a year.

Back