Lawn Mower Muffler

Not normal, you are burning your cutch pads. Hopefully you only need to adjust idle cause of new exhaust not your clutch being screwed up.

Not normal, you are burning your cutch pads. Hopefully you only need to adjust idle cause of new exhaust not your clutch being screwed up.
Regarding that, thankfully it's not something serious just a weird neighbor burning/smoking weird stuff perhaps, I always drop the clutch at similar spot, when I was coming back from work I noticed the smell again while the engine was running while passing the same spot, just on the way back home.

With that said the loss of power, still present, after the new exhaust I got some of the power back, but it's acting like when I first through the previous exhaust was clogged. What got me confused is that on the way to work it seemed to be normal after warming up....

Currently heading back home, will be climb a steep hill and will know if it's present.

I have a new spark plug boot I have been meaning to add, but been waiting to buy a resistance spark plug wire (my speedometer keeps resetting). Checked a lot of places and called a lot of workshops, shops don't sell by foot anymore for the most part, workshops don't have any laying around or want to deal with me. Will visit a salvage yard sometime this week perhaps.

Edit
Home now, one my muffler off (The welds are fine the way the manufacturer attached to the threaded part sucks. Will try to reattached it usng exhaust repair putty at some point.
20190825_214329.jpg

Back to the new main issue at hand, don't think it's the boot plug (will still swap using existing wire, never did it before so it'll be interesting) as power should cut out if it was a bad connecting of sort (I assumme at least) On flat ground I can get to top speed or somewhere below it, the smallest include I barely have any torque, the hill I mentioned earlier, usually go up that with 20 kmph, this time around I was pedalling the whole time lol
From a stand still if I go full throttle I barely have any power as well unless I gradually increase the throttle as the speed increase. I wonder if I over adjusted the float the other day to fix a different issue where the power would cutoff, had the tang push way too low that time., but don't think it's the case as after I fixed the tang position it was working fine for a week or so till this happened. Might make a post about it if I don't figure it out by tomorrow

Last edited:
Regarding that, thankfully it's not something serious just a weird neighbor burning/smoking weird stuff perhaps, I always drop the clutch at similar spot, when I was coming back from work I noticed the smell again while the engine was running while passing the same spot, just on the way back home.

With that said the loss of power, still present, after the new exhaust I got some of the power back, but it's acting like when I first through the previous exhaust was clogged. What got me confused is that on the way to work it seemed to be normal after warming up....

Currently heading back home, will be climb a steep hill and will know if it's present.

I have a new spark plug boot I have been meaning to add, but been waiting to buy a resistance spark plug wire (my speedometer keeps resetting). Checked a lot of places and called a lot of workshops, shops don't sell by foot anymore for the most part, workshops don't have any laying around or want to deal with me. Will visit a salvage yard sometime this week perhaps.

Edit
Home now, one my muffler off (The welds are fine the way the manufacturer attached to the threaded part sucks. Will try to reattached it usng exhaust repair putty at some point.
View attachment 89948

Back to the new main issue at hand, don't think it's the boot plug (will still swap using existing wire, never did it before so it'll be interesting) as power should cut out if it was a bad connecting of sort (I assumme at least) On flat ground I can get to top speed or somewhere below it, the smallest include I barely have any torque, the hill I mentioned earlier, usually go up that with 20 kmph, this time around I was pedalling the whole time lol
From a stand still if I go full throttle I barely have any power as well unless I gradually increase the throttle as the speed increase. I wonder if I over adjusted the float the other day to fix a different issue where the power would cutoff, had the tang push way too low that time., but don't think it's the case as after I fixed the tang position it was working fine for a week or so till this happened. Might make a post about it if I don't figure it out by tomorrow
i would personally get 3/4" lawnmower muffler, those 1/2 ones seem to fall apart a lot (personal experience) the 3/4 ones also seem to last

try readjusting the needle (and check that the top cap is tight, as it could cause leaks)

i would personally get 3/4" lawnmower muffler, those 1/2 ones seem to fall apart a lot (personal experience) the 3/4 ones also seem to last

try readjusting the needle (and check that the top cap is tight, as it could cause leaks)
Top cap? I didn't really know if it mattered at the time, through it'd do the job. will try fixing the current one

1" muffler comes apart easily and can be put back together with jb weld and a couple well placed holes.

The 1" muffler will give you a bit of a deeper growl sound. Must move the baffle, there is only one in the 1" muffler.
Course steel scouring pad, not to much as it will give to much restriction.

1" muffler comes apart easily and can be put back together with jb weld and a couple well placed holes.

The 1" muffler will give you a bit of a deeper growl sound. Must move the baffle, there is only one in the 1" muffler.
Course steel scouring pad, not to much as it will give to much restriction.
LIkely do so before I place it back, now that I have access to the inside

Cleaned the carb, everything looked normal in there and swapped the spark plug cap with a NGK one, did a test run, the straight pipe sounds painfully loud now, will know when I get back from work today.
It was surprisingly quiet earlier when the muffler fell off, sounds painful loud, could also just be imagining it. Will eventually know today.

In the meantime I will grab a exhaust repair putty sometime before work.

If you ride around a lot, like over 10 mins, your ear will get used to the loudness. So you can't really hear the difference.

Back