Lawnmower Engine Retrofit?

grouchyolfart

Local time
7:43 PM
Another noob question. If there's a link to an existing thread, can someone post it for me? Mahalo.

As for starting this thread, can't blame a guy for trying to use what's on hand. Short on cash at the moment and shipping is killer from the mainland. Going to have a long wait till I'm ready for a "proper" kit.

So....I thought I saw that one of the vendors sold clutches and gearboxs for these things? Got me a good working lawnmower powered by a 2.5 hp B&S engine that I no longer need as the wife bought me an electric one. Hard to sell and realize anykind of decent return on the initial investment so I thought maybe I could use it for my first project, if it's possible. I'd like to make this one a frame mount. Someone point me to the right vendor? Mahalo plenty....:)

It is important to consider that with a lawnmower the powershaft coming out of the engine which you would attach the clutch too is orientated to the ground rather than on the side of the engine. It is like this on most models, if you wanted to hook a system like this up to a bicycle you would need a shaft and gear system to correct the orientation of the power shaft.

Thanks JL for pointing that important feature out to me. I totally had a senior moment and forgot about the orientation of the drive shaft. :oops: :)

Guess I'll dump it cheap, lick my wounds and bide my time till I have the money for a "proper" kit. <sigh:mad:

I was going to do the same thing with my lawnmower when I ran into the same problem. The cost of additional parts would also be far greater than just buying everything together in a kit. Pretty much pushed me to dax's engine kit because everything was sure to work.

a good option for your type motor is a powered trailer. they are quite easy to build and pobably not covered by law.

If you can find a small roto-tiller that's scrapped out, the gearbox on those things are about 300 RPM (perfect for a 26 inch wheel) and are horizontal output...

aww heck ...grouchy,

all you need to do to use a vertical shaft 4 stroke is create a friction drive for it
maybe have a roller on the opposite side of the rim to balance out the side force from the drive shaft

i agree something that uses the most common engine style would be trick !

im gonna look into that roto tiller ide'er too

it can be "all" be done ...its just whether "I" can do it or not ?

mike

The roto tiller idea may work, if I could find one. Not many use these out here. If so, they're not letting any go. ;)

I'd probably have a better chance of finding a rotary type mower instead. Same engine orientation. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for one. Meanwhile, the plan is still to buy a 2 stroke 65cc engine kit, but this plan may have been set back a bit since I just couldn't pass up this deal on a Dayang retro scoot for $200. It isn't running right, but parts shouldn't cost more than what I paid. :D

A lawnmower engine will run if its stood up. You can use it, its just you'd have to have that special way of mounting it to the bike. i've tilted a mower on its side and it still ran. You just need a seperate gas and oil tank. Question would me making it electric start. I'm thinkin one of the wheel motors from a power wheels car.

What about using the verticle shaft as a friction drive, running against the side of the rim rather than the top of the tire?

Back