laws for montana

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by jstylen, Jun 12, 2013.

  1. jstylen

    jstylen New Member

    Hi everybody, new member a bit confused. I bought an engine kit on ebay a few days ago without even thinking I might run into legal issues. I live in great falls Montana and I need to find out what to do to follow the law. The engine I ordered is 80cc 2 stroke. I don't have a license ... will I need one and if so which one?

  2. LR Jerry

    LR Jerry Well-Known Member

    Here is the Montana laws you asked about.

    61-8-102. Uniformity of interpretation -- definitions. (1) Interpretation of this chapter in this state must be as consistent as possible with the interpretation of similar laws in other states. (2) As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise, the following definitions apply: (a) "Authorized emergency vehicle" means a vehicle of a governmental fire agency organized under Title 7, chapter 33, an ambulance, and an emergency vehicle designated or authorized by the department. (b) "Bicycle" means: (i) a vehicle propelled solely by human power upon which any person may ride and that has two tandem wheels and a seat height of more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is raised to its highest position, except scooters and similar devices; or (ii) a vehicle equipped with two or three wheels, foot pedals to permit muscular propulsion, and an independent power source providing a maximum of 2 brake horsepower. If a combustion engine is used, the maximum piston or rotor displacement may not exceed 3.05 cubic inches, 50 centimeters, regardless of the number of chambers in the power source. The power source may not be capable of propelling the device, unassisted, at a speed exceeding 30 miles an hour, 48.28 kilometers an hour, on a level surface. The device must be equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged

    I always tell people to look up and read their local laws before they buy anything. You're cc size is too big and you probably have a manual clutch. If you had built within the Montana guidelines you wouldn't have needed a drivers license. They would've seen it as a bicycle with a helper motor. With the kit you ordered you probably won't be able to legally operate it on the public roadways.