Laws in Daytona florida says our bikes are okay

It's not personal, it's about the cause of motored biking, and wrongly categorized stuff like our trailers, and bikes.

If you look up Florida Motored Biking laws on google, THESE threads at MBC are the FIRST things that show up. People and police that don't know what's going on read these threads and may get the wrong ideas.

I'm glad you like my trailer, I just wanted to set things straight. I built it with the full intention of being legal, by being between the lines and guidelines that haven't been crossed yet by the law.

I really wanted to go electric, but I had to settle for gasoline power, and this was the best way I knew how to continue to have transportation, and not be stuck at home depressed because I can't go anywhere to make any money, or have a life. I'm almost 30 years old, I refuse to be grounded like a child, I chose my freedom in the best way I knew how.

I want to keep MBC fun by us helping each other out. More yes's, and less no's..

Pedal Activated Motor means that the act of pedaling makes the motor turn. You stop pedaling the motor stops. And that is a fact. Pull any definitions you want, but that is the idea behind a Pedal Activated Motor. Every law in every country that uses the "Pedelec" term (a.k.a Pedal Activated Motor) , is speaking of such a device, like I was trying to say, the Clutch does NOT MATTER, nor does a throttle, because on a Pedal Activated motor uses NEITHER by definition for the purposes of my discussion and you know it.

All other definitions you wish to come up with have no weight in terms in which I (and the law) are using it.

And I don't know why you have to try to bring personal attacks on people that disagree with you.

All those "arguments" against what I was stating were attempts at being personal in nature, very sophomoric and funny, because you take it personally when I do not.

You obviously didn't read my statements in full, because I even admitted being jealous (because of what I DID, NOT because of others) I AM allowed to be jealous, and that is MY problem, no one elses, NOR did I attempt to make it anyone's problem. YOU were trying to make it sound like I did to make yourself look "holier than thou".

Let's say for the sake of argument, that you're bike/trailer is legal... You can't ride it legally faster than 20 mph on an open road anyways. My Bike costs me .08 a day to run. (Plus the fact that I don't have to worry about the myriad mechanical issues with an ICE nor pollution (even tho a 4 stroke don't do much) ) I charge it up at work, at a coffee house, or anywhere else there is an electrical outlet, so your argument about getting back an forth to work is moot. I will agree that I can't go far as you on a charge, but for an extra $200 (with my current setup) I can go 50 to 100 miles. I can even go so far as to say for a total of about $700 I can do this...
On a 24" bicycle I would spend $200 for a 250w electric Motor, and $500 for a 24v 50ah Battery and get 100 miles on a charge.

On the matter of jealousy... (I was admitting being jealous that people had licenses and for NO OTHER reason. I even admitted it was MY OWN FAULT AND NO ONE ELSES.)

As a matter of fact, on my current bicycle, it has a 250w motor, and I've added a larger (24v 40ah) battery to it, two front headlights, a rear red light, a rear red reflector, Neon lights underneath (blue), a neon light bar on the back (that lights up when I hit the brakes), a radio, amp, speakers, turn signals, a car-type cigarette lighter, a windshield, 24v-12v converter, a space for my iPhone to plug into the radio and it looks like a Chopper. It weighs (without all the stuff on it), 90lbs (it's made of steel and chrome, not alum.) and with everything on it about 115 (the battery makes up 20lbs of it) and I can go 40 miles (at 20mph) on a single charge.

Total cost? Let's see...
$90 for Bike (craiglist and it came WITH the motor)
$240 for the battery (ebay - I got lucky)
$120 for all the amenities.

TOTAL = $450
I have a VERY COOL looking Chopper Bike with ALL the amenities you could ever want or need on an MB (excluding a roof) and you think I'm jealous of YOU or anyone else for having a gas powered "bicycle"?

Now THAT'S funny.

Last edited:
How does it pedal without the motor running?

It's not easy, I can tell you that. Without motor power it's hard to get going, but once you're up to 10mph, it's really easy because of it's weight... Without the battery on it at all, it's MUCH better.

that's not much horse power ???

[/B]not to exceed 1 1/2 bhp (break horse-power)

looks like for you all to be truly legal with a gas engine
1.5 max for the horse power
that's not much -- even one of the Robins has a 1.6 HP
and many of the other engines mentioned around here have even more HP

but -- as many MB riders have found out (state to state)(country to country)
a slight bit over some laws either here or there seems not to matter much
as long as
we are riding in a civil manner and doing our best to obey state laws

trying not to forget
the local pooolice wish to be pleased also !!!
yes - the local Cities can also make up their own ordinances regarding MBs
we have two close Cities that don't enjoy MB riding
I do some ghost pedalling when going through there...

as I ride the motor bike

No offense taken. (Unlike the other guy, he's taking everything personal.)

You're probably right about me joining this forum because of My DL and my MB, but then again... I DO currently ride an (electric powered) Motorized Bike and I DID lose my License. (No one else's fault but MY OWN!)
Just because it's electric, doesn't mean it's any less motorized, nor do I think anyone thinks any less of me because it's not gas, nor should I.

Cause and Effect dude....
If I were driving around in a Lamborghini because I had millions of dollars in the bank, I would probably join a Lamborghini forum. And then one might say...

"If sang didn't have millions of dollars in the bank, he would never have joined this forum or even considered driving a Lamborghini"

Point Taken?

Oh and FYI, just so everyone knows... I think his idea about the bike and push-trailer is pretty f'in cool!

oh i tried an electric conversion first......was ok but wasnt powerfull enuff and lithium hadnt really hit the general markets yet

next was a pocket bike motor on a bike but i couldnt keep the pedals so it just has footpegs......that bike got 13 miles on it and has sit in my house for the past few yrs......wasnt legal to ride

honestly if batteries were light enuff and powerful enuff id perfer electric....but not yet.....so gas it is

i lost my license when i was 18 so that wasnt meant as an insult

i built an MB because i wanted to....not cuz i had to.....thats all i was tryin to say

i hope when you get your DL issue worked out you still ride an MB even if you end up with a lamborghini

and znsane has had alot of personal exp with cops and ridin his MB.....lol....mostly out of curiousity

Pedal Activated Motor means that the act of pedaling makes the motor turn. You stop pedaling the motor stops. And that is a fact. Pull any definitions you want, but that is the idea behind a Pedal Activated Motor. Every law in every country that uses the "Pedelec" term (a.k.a Pedal Activated Motor) , is speaking of such a device, like I was trying to say, the Clutch does NOT MATTER, nor does a throttle, because on a Pedal Activated motor uses NEITHER by definition for the purposes of my discussion and you know it.

All other definitions you wish to come up with have no weight in terms in which I (and the law) are using it.

And I don't know why you have to try to bring personal attacks on people that disagree with you.

All those "arguments" against what I was stating were attempts at being personal in nature, very sophomoric and funny, because you take it personally when I do not.

You obviously didn't read my statements in full, because I even admitted being jealous (because of what I DID, NOT because of others) I AM allowed to be jealous, and that is MY problem, no one elses, NOR did I attempt to make it anyone's problem. YOU were trying to make it sound like I did to make yourself look "holier than thou".

Let's say for the sake of argument, that you're bike/trailer is legal... You can't ride it legally faster than 20 mph on an open road anyways. My Bike costs me .08 a day to run. (Plus the fact that I don't have to worry about the myriad mechanical issues with an ICE nor pollution (even tho a 4 stroke don't do much) ) I charge it up at work, at a coffee house, or anywhere else there is an electrical outlet, so your argument about getting back an forth to work is moot. I will agree that I can't go far as you on a charge, but for an extra $200 (with my current setup) I can go 50 to 100 miles. I can even go so far as to say for a total of about $700 I can do this...
On a 24" bicycle I would spend $200 for a 250w electric Motor, and $500 for a 24v 50ah Battery and get 100 miles on a charge.

On the matter of jealousy... (I was admitting being jealous that people had licenses and for NO OTHER reason. I even admitted it was MY OWN FAULT AND NO ONE ELSES.)

As a matter of fact, on my current bicycle, it has a 250w motor, and I've added a larger (24v 40ah) battery to it, two front headlights, a rear red light, a rear red reflector, Neon lights underneath (blue), a neon light bar on the back (that lights up when I hit the brakes), a radio, amp, speakers, turn signals, a car-type cigarette lighter, a windshield, 24v-12v converter, a space for my iPhone to plug into the radio and it looks like a Chopper. It weighs (without all the stuff on it), 90lbs (it's made of steel and chrome, not alum.) and with everything on it about 115 (the battery makes up 20lbs of it) and I can go 40 miles (at 20mph) on a single charge.

Total cost? Let's see...
$90 for Bike (craiglist and it came WITH the motor)
$240 for the battery (ebay - I got lucky)
$120 for all the amenities.

TOTAL = $450
I have a VERY COOL looking Chopper Bike with ALL the amenities you could ever want or need on an MB (excluding a roof) and you think I'm jealous of YOU or anyone else for having a gas powered "bicycle"?

Now THAT'S funny.

where are the pics man?....lol

This thread lives on and on but today I visited the DMV in Punta Gorda Florida and I had a wonderful conversation with one of their personnel. After explaing all facets of the arguments heard here and explained what I owned , the official came to a quick conclusion that I had neither a motorcycle or a moped but a Motorized bicycle that was not subject to a title, registration, or plate. What were the factors that went into that decision was the following Pedals Yes under 50cc Yes less than 2 brake horsepower and not to exceed 30 mph without clutching AFTER the drive system is engaged. Done
I politely asked if I could have a copy of the rules that were used to come to that conclusion. The official said no problem and printed them for me. They also suggested I carry them to inform errant Police Officers of the laws should I be stopped. I will laminate them and keep them in my saddle bad If you need a copy look for Procedure RS 61 Subject Motorcycles , Mopeds, and Disability Vehicles From the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Division of Motor Vehicles revision date 02/01/08 pages RS-61 -01 to RS-61 -03 Go to bed and get a good night's rest

where are the pics man?....lol

Links are in my sig.

This thread lives on and on but today I visited the DMV in Punta Gorda Florida and I had a wonderful conversation with one of their personnel. After explaing all facets of the arguments heard here and explained what I owned , the official came to a quick conclusion that I had neither a motorcycle or a moped but a Motorized bicycle that was not subject to a title, registration, or plate. What were the factors that went into that decision was the following Pedals Yes under 50cc Yes less than 2 brake horsepower and not to exceed 30 mph without clutching AFTER the drive system is engaged. Done
I politely asked if I could have a copy of the rules that were used to come to that conclusion. The official said no problem and printed them for me. They also suggested I carry them to inform errant Police Officers of the laws should I be stopped. I will laminate them and keep them in my saddle bad If you need a copy look for Procedure RS 61 Subject Motorcycles , Mopeds, and Disability Vehicles From the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Division of Motor Vehicles revision date 02/01/08 pages RS-61 -01 to RS-61 -03 Go to bed and get a good night's rest

The issue in question (for me at least) was whether you needed a DL to use it. That answer is YES, YOU NEED a Drivers License.

The issue as to whether you can get it registered or titled, was NOT an issue. You can NOT get it registered as a Moped, but that has ONLY to do with tags and registration and has NOTHING to do with whether you need a Driver's License to operate it on a public road. (THAT answer being yes.)

My question to you Gene, is .... Do you have a current FL Driver's license? Or are you trying to use the fact that you can't register/title it as a moped as an attempt to use it without a valid license?

Last edited:
You are a silly man. Sorry. if you can't title it, you cant register it, you can't get a plate for it , and it is considered merely a bicycle. then who needs a DL for a bicycle. There are no age limitations either. Aren't you tired from all of this yet?

Back