Laws of the whizzer?


New Member
Local time
11:33 PM
Jul 1, 2008
Columbus, OH
Does anyone know the laws on riding a Whizzer in Ohio?

From what I have heard the Whizzer is considered a Motorcycle and needs to be licensed and registered with the state of Ohio. Because I purchased the bike second hand and do not have a title, I need to contact the Court of Common Pleas for a court-ordered title.

I did talk to a guy here that said he just has a moped plate on his bike and has never had a run-in with the law.

Also, do you know if you are required to carry insurance on the bike?

Any info would be great!!!

Thank you!
I do believe that the displacement will keep it from being titled as a moped. I had trouble with getting a title in Pa because of lost paperwork and Lisa from WhizzerUSA helped me get everything straightened out. (Toll free: 877-WHIZZER) The insurance is cheap. About $6.00 a month here in Pa. Hope this helps.

Looking at the Ohio laws, a moped can only have a maximum of one brake horsepower, an engine of 50cc displacement or less and have a top speed of no more than 20mph on a flat surface. By their definition, the Whizzer is a motorcycle, just as it is here in Pennsylvania. Mine is tagged as a motorcycle. In fact, I'll be getting mine inspected later today.
As far as the insurance is concerned, Ohio does require insurance for all categories except moped, so it looks like you'll have to get iunsurance. It's generally not expensive. I have mine through Progressive and it's $75 per year, and that's not even the basic coverage. It's upgraded coverage.