laws on motor assited bicyles

A

andrewflores17

does anyone now what the law is in colorado and maybe a website where i could find it ive looked but can only find stuff on mopeds

The only laws I have found on motor assisted bicycles are in NYC and Boulder City in Colorado..And that is it. Period. From what I can tell, they are un regulated everywhere else. But..I am sure if you do something the cops do not like, they will find a moped, scooter, or motorized bicycle law they will try to apply to you. Tip....Be cool. Abide by traffic laws that apply to bicycles, and when in doubt, salute !!! That means...Hit the kill switch and pedal. Enjoy the ride...

LAWS

Andrew:
the way I found out what the local laws are around here was I asked a cop they all carry the vehicle laws look under bicycle then the sub category motor assist around here the law was put on the books in 1903 we do not need licence registration or insurance the bike is NOT A MOPED!! it is a motor assisted bike that is where a lot of people make their mistake when looking up the laws...........we have to follow all the bike laws and I do recommend wearing a helm it really saved my head one day and do get a good head light so you can see at night it is just as important that you can see as it is for others to see you.

Cookie

"Quemadmoeum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."
("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands.") -
Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD).

Cookie

When in doubt, bluff......

I also have talked to cops, who are friendly and interested, especially if I ask where the mayor lives so I can get them on bikes to save patrol petrol.

It is really early in the game, we need to "never litter", "leave only footprints", shop with local business owners, pay a little more for a small tool or supplies, not exactly "boycott" Wal-Mart, because we need toner ink, but use local folks when possible.

I have gone long periods without Big Mac's, the locally owned "all you can eat lunch buffet" is part of my See America for $10 a Day Principle.

However, if you do get a ticket, DEMAND A JURY AND SUBPEONA EVERY POLITICIAN YOU CAN. We are "the answer", not the problem.

I am sure there will be enough legal firepower amongst this forum membership to tie any traffic court in knots for decades to come. Bicycles are right after hot air balloons in transportation evolution, so the 1903 Law Cited will do UNTIL somebody drags up something better/earlier, that says WE OWN THE BACK ROADS, AUTOS HAVE TO GIVE RIGHT OF WAY, JUST LIKE TOWARD PEDESTRIANS......

I apologize for "radicalism", but I say "Not Guilty", careless/stupid might be a crime, but riding responsibly is "legal immunity".

WOW

WOW Paul I thought I got out there but man you take the cake :)...one thing the cops around here want to do is have those that get DWI"S lose their licence and have to use the motorised bikes (the only one they can hurt is themselves ). There is a bike patrol for cops that you can get the info on but I lost the web site a bike cop is a hell of a lot cheeper to equip than a car and the bike cop has it's place soooo do your research and make a proposal to the chief of police and the mayor and city council.

As far as a Big Mac I have not had one in over 15 yrs. I like real food not hockey pucks.

If you go to :

Laws Save Lives (MO) > Promote Cyclists Rights > The JTri.com MultiSport Gear

this is what most state laws are but it is also a cool shirt

Cookie

"Quemadmoeum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."
("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands.") -
Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD).

Interesting thing about Colorado bike laws.....

When I got out there, and went to a concert up at State Bridge on the Colorado, via Vail along the interstate, REGULAR BIKES WERE ON THE INTERSTATE SHOULDER.

Not one or two, but probably 50 (Memorial Day Weekend). I hear things are different West of the Rockies regarding Interstates.

I go by Moped laws to be safe, but thats no guarantee.

http://www.moped2.org/mstates.htm

In New Mexico we have pretty liberal laws requiring no hemet, insurance, registration, but a normal drivers license is required. And mopeds are classified as under 50cc so I don't worry about my 70-80cc bikes as no one could tell the difference between a 48cc and an 80.

Also we don't even have to have our cars inspected....gotta love that.

Re: WOW

Cookie said:
one thing the cops around here want to do is have those that get DWI"S lose their licence and have to use the motorised bikes (the only one they can hurt is themselves ).

That was one of my ideas when considering selling/promoting motor bikes. Go to your local probation office and ask the PO if he has any "clients" who need transportation.

Also I'm one of those clean and sober 12 steppers and I run into guys daily who lost thier license.

gotta start building more bikes........ :mrgreen:

Somehow, in my clicking, I get daily Google alerts about "motorized bikes",

only 2 seem recent and relevant, at or around Oct. 2

a Tuscon AZ crackdown

a Topeka KS "grey area" about electric bikes, go over 30mph, no transmission.

This just seems to be a good place to put our legalese.....I can already tell this forum is twice as smart as any town council.....

HERE IS ONE OF THE MANY TUCSON ARTICLES GOOGLE ALERTED ME TO:

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=5431880&nav=14RTSec7

Cookie was mentioning elsewhere how the EPA scuttled importation of engines last year, and TWalker was talking about how to get parts for them in another topic. But there wasn't enough organization of users to fight EPA, gain exemptions.

Remember, parts are tariff proof (I think both ways, into a country/out of a country), while kits are prone to wholesale bans.

But the same thing on restrictions, we can't let Tucson become the model for lazy town councils to simply "copy/paste" and enact without discussion.

Back