Exhaust leaking oil out of my muffler

Ptownpeddler

Local time
12:36 AM
Just wondering why i would be leaking oil out of my exhaust. Does that mean I am running to lean or to rich? and I am burning up gas like crazy. My moms ford station wagon(circa. early early 80's), is getting better milage than me....... LMAO I am still in my break in period. I have been really careful to properly mix the oil 8oz 2cycle oil-1 gallon unleaded gas. Any ideas guys? searched all threads on mufflers couldnt find anything. starting to get the idea that this china engines are :poop:. Anyone know or heard of an american model?

Just means you're running too much oil in your gas but that's necessary for break-in. Once you're running a normal mix it won't do that anymore.

thanks cavi mike nice to know nothing serious is wrong.what about the mileage thing? i have been having trouble getting it to idle correctly. I have the set screw out so far it shouldn't even stay running and it is still racing when I engage the clutch. is it possible that the float in the float bowl is stuck open?(Iam assuming there is a floatbeings it's called a "floatbowl"...lol) Kinda scared to take it apart without getting advice first.

if your scewing it clockwise your letting in more gas (is your carb pouring gas out your vents? )Also you might want to check your sliders and see if it moving freely

Last edited:
Oil out of the exhaust is normal for all 2 strokes, new or old.
it just may seem like there's a lot of oil because you are running a much richer oil-fuel ratio for break in.
Mileage?? does anyone even really care about mileage?
I know i don't.

what scrfew are you referring to?
what kind of carb do you have?
if you have an nt carb and you are turning the screw in, you are increasing your idle, which explains why it's racing all the time.
if you have a cns carb, then you will have an air-fuel ratio adjustment screw. you turn that screw in (clockwise) for a leaner air-fuel mixture, and screw it out (counter-clock wise) for a richer air-fuel mixture.
you fuel-oil ratio is different than your air-fuel ratio and sometimes too much oil is referred to as being to rich.
true, too much oil is a "rich" mixture, but you need to be clear if you're talking air-fuel or fuel-oil ratios.
telling someone that their engine is running too rich when referring to the fuel-oil ratio could mislead then to think that you're talking air-fuel ratio.
if they start adjusting the air-fuel ratio instead of looking at the fuel-oil ratio, they could make the engine run too lean, and open up a whole different can of worms.
get it running well enough to get it broken in first, drop to a 32:1 fuel-oil ratio.
then you can adjust your air-fuel ratio (if you have a cns carb) or you may have to re-jet the nt carb.

If you have an air leak at the carb to intake manifold, you will be creating a lean condition which will make the engine race like crazy as well.
any time an engine is running lean the idle will go up. any time an engine is running too rich, the idle will go down (of corse, i'm talking air-fuel ratio).

Since I've recently had to remount my motor (66cc, 2-cycle) I had to put a new chrome muffler on it and it seeps a little too. My other muffler had quite a few miles on it (500+) and it stopped leaking after so many miles. Maybe the cap has a tighter fit on my old muffler because this new muffler mainly seeps from the cap edges. Whatever the case she is running very well. My mix is 3.5oz synthetic 2-cycle to one gallon of 87 grade gasoline. My gas mileage is only 73-77mpg. My 49cc was getting around 108mpg.

well, the oil in the fuel ends up as a mist in the crank case. extra oil eventually makes it's way out of the exhaust and into the muffler where it will build up and start to drip after awhile.
while you are riding, there is actually a fine mist of oil that is being shot out of the exhaust.

well, the oil in the fuel ends up as a mist in the crank case. extra oil eventually makes it's way out of the exhaust and into the muffler where it will build up and start to drip after awhile.
while you are riding, there is actually a fine mist of oil that is being shot out of the exhaust.

I have experienced the "mist" first hand only it was spraying out from the front of the head gasket because it wasn't torqued. I imagine the effect is similar out of the exaust.

Back