leaky fuel petcock/tank joint

Chris Crew

Local time
10:56 AM
I've searched, I've tried teflon tape, I've tried teflon tape and the red cardboard washer' teflon tape and a fibre washer, teflon tape and an o-ring, an o-ring and a fibre washer---all of the above on a new petcock too. Nothing seems to cure the slow drip, drip, drip down the tank and onto the frame and into the paint.

Would it be foolish to JB Weld the valve in place? I ended up JB Welding the bottoms of both 1 gal tanks from Pistonbikes because they both leaked where the left rear stud is welded on. JB Weld and "fiberglass" tape around all four joints have held that leak in check for about two and half months now.

Go to the local auto parts store a buy a tube of SEAL ALL. This is not an apoxy it is more of a glue. IT IS FUEL PROOF. No shop should be without a tue of this. You can apply it to the threads or coat the joint after assembly.
This glue can be used as a glue or contact glue(if you coat both surfaces as directed). unlike jb weld you can remove it.

I would coat the joint, let it dry. Then wrap it tightly with a few turns of adheasive tape and coat again(the problem will be gone). Work with dry surfaces if possiable.

ive had the exact same problem

i just used ordinary silicon the see thru one and it stopped the leak.. Empty + Clean the part u want to seal over

Yeah I just used kevlar tape, no problems at all, the trick is to add quite a bit so it forms a kind of bung at the end I guess..

Then I added some strong super glue over the top (not fuel proof but didnt need to be, just to stop vibration damage to the seal).

For leaky fuel fittings and drain plugs I use a teflon sealant from NAPA auto parts. It is fuel and oil "resistant". Resistant or not, it hasn't leaked on me yet. It is smooth and creamy in consistency, not lumpy and chunky like the stuff you can get at a home improvement store. I have even used it to glue in drain plugs where the customer was too cheap to have us repair it properly. The stuff needs a few hours to set up, and it cures to a rubber like material.

Back