LED's

RdKryton

Local time
7:40 PM
One thing I have done is replace the regular bulbs in the brake and turn signals with LED's. They are a little brighter and don't drag the battery down so they stay bright.
Just one little tip that can help.

Jim

I have been looking at a set of car foglights that look similar to vintage bicycle lights. I am planning on seeing how long they stay on with a battery from one of my cordless tools. That being said, how bright and how far can I expect to see with LED's? Do you think I could achieve comperable brightness?

Sounds like a plan. I'm a pretty strong believer in "You can never quite have enough lights on your MB". I have my fronts all worked out - 3X redundancy. I'm still working on the new rear set up.......need ideas....

my '79 honda hobbit tailight..refitted with direct replacement red LED's (2X9 led)...a huge increase in battery runtime...even in daylight i get a cool laser-pointer effect thru the lense that really catches the eye. at night i've never seen a "redder" light than this.
MVC-025F.JPG

i stuck with filament bulbs (2X21W) in my reflector headlight-fairing in the name of candlepower, i ride at night a lot. before that i used a 55W h-3 auto foglamp...WOW but does it ever eat power. you can still find h-3's in 35W too.

need ideas? this place makes shopping for LED's really easy with great diagrams & specs: http://www.virtualvillage.com/motoring

Last edited:
I still have the standard bulb in the head light fixture so I can not answer that question. The Whizzer charging system is not that good but with the other bulbs switched out to LED's, it is able to keep up quite well. Here where I live the Amish are all using LED's on their buggys because of the extended battery life and brightness. I can tell you from experience that the lighting is much brighter. I will have to check into the LED headlights they use because some of them are very bright! I'll post back with any info I come up with.

Jim

led on star with driver

The pictures show a 3 watt led with a 3-9 volt driver to regulate the power from the 6 volt battery.Way small and extremley bright:cool:They are mounted into 2 headlamps.I have a red 3 watt led for the rear.You can find all of this stuff on Ebay or Dealextreme for about 7 bucks a light shipped.They have brighter ones that use even less power.

Thanx MotoMagz

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 345
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 343
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 362
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 297
those look bright, how far/fast can you safely see at night with those?

yaknow what, i just realized this LED thread may detract or distract from the official "lighting & electrical" section...so without discouraging relevant input in this topic i'd like to add for the new user that there's a ton of info happening here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

yaknow what, i just realized this LED thread may detract or distract from the official "lighting & electrical" section...so without discouraging relevant input in this topic i'd like to add for the new user that there's a ton of info happening here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Thanks for the link augidog. I have a feeling that there are going to be many things in the saftey section that will be repeats of other places. Lighting is but one example. So in advance, I wish to thank all of the more senior members here for directing people to the threads containing the most information. When I see one I will do my part also and point it out. Now it is time for me to check that link out and comment there.

The pictures show a 3 watt led with a 3-9 volt driver to regulate the power from the 6 volt battery.Way small and extremley bright:cool:They are mounted into 2 headlamps.I have a red 3 watt led for the rear.You can find all of this stuff on Ebay or Dealextreme for about 7 bucks a light shipped.They have brighter ones that use even less power.

Thanx MotoMagz

I am wondering if there is a way to incorporate those little LEDs into clothing. The possibilities are endless and the look would be cool.

Last edited:
shirt

I am wondering if there is a way to incorporate those little LEDs into clothing. The possibilities are endless and the look would be cool.

They all ready have them Ebay Item number: 270514239695... go figure.But what about on the back of a jacket or shirt for riding thats an idea:unsure:
Or was that your idea.They most likely have them to.

Motomagz

Back