Left Hand Throttle or Shifter?

Why? Not saying that you're wrong but just wondering what the reason is. I got a twist shifter for my build but that was for the cable pull. Triggers work fine on all my geared non motored bicycles.
Bingo alpha one, no reason why a motored bike is any different in the drivetrain category, just requires better parts to work well. A shifter is a shifter is a shifter. User preference.

Ohh my....
I'll often do this on either left or right
shifter-jpg.75734

I wouldn't brag about that dude, especially on a shifter build when you need to work the throttle and gear shifter at the same time.
We are talking about just using your thumb and that requires your entire hand to leave the handle bars!

Sure, we all did 'Look Mom! No Hands!' riding our bicycles but in real life it's your 2 handed grip using your thumbs on the handle bars that keeps you on the thing.

Can you even imagine riding a bicycle let alone a motorized one with no thumbs?
I guess it would be impossible if it had a thumb throttle which again is something I find as 'silly' as thumb shifters.

My views on handlebar controls are based on what is easiest and safest for the rider.
A half grip twist shifter on the left rules in my book regardless of what the bike originally had, period.

One other note for you diret drive builders with a multi-speed pedal side...
If you have front a derailleur pull the whole damn thing out!
All of it! Just put the chain on the front sprocket you use and get it's shifter and cable off the handlebars!

All just tips, take 'em or leave 'em, all I know is what works best for me and my customers.

Uh... Had a thumb throttle on a couple atvs, not really any issue using that to keep 2 large wheels on rocks under control...

Obviously kc doesn't like thumb levers on a personal level... I think they worked fine in really any instance I had to use them. I guess if you are really lacking some strength or plan on shifting while jumping off curbs then a thumb shifter is not as practical, but on a daily driver just pacing the asphalt I seriously doubt that a thumb shifter is going to be the problem area when it comes to safe riding...

Almost as bad as the dmv insisting on using both hands to drive a car (you'll fail the test for using one hand, unless you're lucky enough to have a manual transmission, then use handed operation is considered safe, as much sense that that doesn't make...) meanwhile my one handed parallel parking should be considered pure evil since my truck is automatic... Lol I just love this sometimes I do wonder about people...

I really don't see a problem with using a multigear twist shifter on the left side. It feels very natural to right and left hand people. True, the numbers are upsidebackwards but really are you riding a motorized bike and looking at the numbers?

I don't like thumb anything, but I agree personal taste thing. For WFO riding thumb seems just odd.

We now sell an electric left or right hand "throttle".

I really don't see a problem with using a multigear twist shifter on the left side. It feels very natural to right and left hand people. True, the numbers are upsidebackwards but really are you riding a motorized bike and looking at the numbers?

I don't like thumb anything, but I agree personal taste thing. For WFO riding thumb seems just odd.

We now sell an electric left or right hand "throttle".
Yes, it feels very natural to use a twist. I tried the trigger set up for a split second on the right side, was the second worst thing I ever put my right hand on.

Left side felt nice, but the one I had just didn't jive with my clutch lever so the stretch was just a little too much. Twisty shift feels best imo..

I would believe that a centrifugal clutch with a left hand duel thumb shifter would be a nice combo since it negates you having both clutter and needing to deal with any levers, and comming off the throttle unlocks the drivetrain from being under power and so shifting isn't a stressful event on the derailleur and chain. Gearing fairly low would more or less be required/desired to prevent the sudden engagement of the clutch from tugging the chain too hard resulting in "hard shifts," while also letting you get low speed cruises or for keeping the clutch engaged on slow uphills if your engine is on the weaker side.

Otherwise you start to get a little cluttered and depending on the set up it can get kinda difficult to operate. It's significantly easier ride backwards across curbs and broken street stuff if you can keep your hand firmly on the bar while shifting. If you're just normal road cruising then do what feels comfortable, thumb shifter or not...

I'm really happy with my shifter bike with 7 speed twist grip on the left, along with the clutch lever, and throttle on the right, along with dual pull brake lever. It's true, that with the dual pull, you can't modulate the braking pressure front/back on the fly, but careful cable adjustment overcomes most of that issue. I set mine up with the front coming on just a tad later than the rear, so you don't upset the bike's balance under braking going downhill.

I'm really happy with my shifter bike with 7 speed twist grip on the left, along with the clutch lever, and throttle on the right, along with dual pull brake lever. It's true, that with the dual pull, you can't modulate the braking pressure front/back on the fly, but careful cable adjustment overcomes most of that issue. I set mine up with the front coming on just a tad later than the rear, so you don't upset the bike's balance under braking going downhill.
I have to say, that sounds backwards. I would much rather have the bias towards the front brake, especially when braking going down hill.

I'm really happy with my shifter bike with 7 speed twist grip on the left, along with the clutch lever, and throttle on the right, along with dual pull brake lever.
That's how I like it anyway, even for direct drives!

2_outlook2sddL-1280.jpg

Note there is no longer any trace of a front derailleur for the front sprocket set, I pull the whole thing off including it's handlebar control to free up the handle bar space.

You have 7-speeds with the rear, if you want to change front chain ring do it by hand, you have a spring loaded tensioner in the rear so it takes no tools.

outlook2sddHandlebarsFL.jpg

It feels natural, looks good, and works well for me as I am well past the 'look mom! No hands!' phase of my life ;-}

As for braking force 'balancing' by cable I am not a fan of that, in fact I don't like those 2-1 cable converters or the dual pull brake levers you have to adjust independently either.

I like the SBP dual pull, it puts varying but equal force on both brakes at the same time, and I find ~50/50 to be a great balance with a pair of V-brakes as those will stop you in a real hurry.

It's not hard to build a safe cool looking functional bike like that, you just can't do it with a $99 walmart budget, you need the right parts.

Last edited:
I have to say, that sounds backwards. I would much rather have the bias towards the front brake, especially when braking going down hill.
Furry:
I know what your saying, and normally I'd agree with you, since the weight shifts forward under braking, but going downhill, without the ability to modulate the front/rear braking pressure, for me, the weight shift can get too close to causing either loss of control, or an endo. So my preference is to slack off the front cable just a touch, so the rear grabs just before the front, and therefore under duress, the rear will slide just before the front, allowing you to retain steering control.
Each to his/her own though

Back