legal in the united kingdom ??

Much as I love looking at NACC I have to say that some of the people on there are a little anal retentive..

All things considered these machines are bikes. Yes, they have a small engine slapped on the back/middle/front (delete as applicable) but they are automatically safe for the road because thats what they are made for..

I have had no problems with police - I could be invisible as far as they are concerned and that is the way it should be. There is also the fact that if I hit a car at 30-35mph I am going to be the one that is hurt, not the BMW driving idiot who just pulled out, so why should I pay out £200 for type approval and insurance just so the inattentive nerk who just killed me can repair his front wing for free..?

I have been riding now for over two years and nary a problem so I think the insurance thing can be let lie - after all you can always say you didnt know... and the pink snuffling mammalian things with 18 nipples and a blue uniform cant say otherwise now can they....?

rant mode : off

Jemma xx

While agree 99% of the time we don't get any trouble of the police. I also agree that we cannot get chinese engines MSVA compliant. What we need to do is force government to exempt motorized bicycles from MSVA, road tax, insurance ETC. Perhaps this is not possible right now, but I have a vision (and I know this sounds corny) that we will be able to operate these machines without having to worry about getting nicked.

BSA

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a dream! (as well). That really would just be awesome if we could just ride with no problems whatsoever. I have just rode about 9 miles today, its the hottest day of the year so far here, got a bit of colour, nice cooling breeze over me, slight bald patch on my knee (shorts + expansion chamber = well you can guess). The only thing that ruined it was having to check every single corner for police, scared that I was going to get nicked. I couldnt enjoy myself 100% and that is all I want to do. The sooner the government wise up and aknowledge these bikes the better, and I'm pretty sure that this isn't really going to happen. :(

The old bill don't worry me that much, it's them PCSO's that worry me. They haven't got anything better to be doing, and they're known for being very petty.

BSA

Yeah, I had a run in with them before, rode straight past them then realised that it wasnt just an old man in a high vis jacket! just went round the corner and hid for a bit until they went, if they could then I'm sure they would have stopped me. They have stopped me before for pushing a mini moto frame (no engine) along the path, I tried to explain to the woman that it didnt have an engine and is physically impossible to ride, but she wasnt having any of it. She wrote me out a little pink slip thing and said that if I was caught riding it later that night then I would be reprimanded and the bike would be crushed! They really are incredibly stupid, its scary to think that these people are in charge of us, this particular Police Community Support Officer woman didnt look much older than me, she was talking to some other bloke on her radio and it sounded like they were in competition to see who could issue the most pink slips!

It is just best to avoid the confrontation, its really not worth it, and if you do get pulled over just play dumb.

The UK is a frikkin nightmare. Even the old school "Trojan" friction drive kits required third party insurance back in the 1950's. Regulation has come along way since the 1950's :(

Back