legal in the united kingdom ??

Bad News...and Good News

I'm sorry to tell you this but if under 50cc it is classed as a moped.over 50cc its a motorbike.you have to be 16 to ride a moped and need license,mot,tax,the works.same for motorbike.If you want to register it try a single vehicle approval (SVA).There are loop holes.You can register it as a trial or enduro bike for motorbike racing.You can classify it as a disabled vehicle(not likely),or and this is the most promising say it is limited to under 6km per hour and limit it,(just for show of course),if you mark it as acertain capacity it might get rid of an annoying policeman.

I had the same problem,you can run it as it is and act ignorant,use a loophole(research required) or register it for a SVA.Welcome and Good Luck.:cool:

My 2 cents

When I was a kid, people used to make fun of Alabama. Man, I'm glad to live in Alabama after reading some post in this section. Government IS NOT about freedom, I don't care where you live, they're about taxes and meaningless regulation. It's ridiculous to have to jump through all these hoops just because you bolted a 2HP motor on a bicycle.

When I was a kid, people used to make fun of Alabama. Man, I'm glad to live in Alabama after reading some post in this section. Government IS NOT about freedom, I don't care where you live, they're about taxes and meaningless regulation. It's ridiculous to have to jump through all these hoops just because you bolted a 2HP motor on a bicycle.

This is what it's like in Britain since we joined the European union!

That's tough to deal with. What scares me is, it looks as if we're on the same road.

What you can do is..

always rotate the pedals.. That way if the cops stop you. You can say you were pedaling and not using the motor. It is a bicycle... When you see the cops. hit the kill switch and pedal. What can they do? It is a bicycle...

If i wanna get really confused check it out with the Authorities...u won't get 2 consistant answers.
You could try asking the cops like i did "what would u look for if u saw a small capacity motorized bicycle riding around the streets" but they would probably side-step the question and refer u to the Authorities.
My advice is ride it sensibly and see what happens.

what could happen in the UK is what happened with homemade biodiesel. backyard biodiesel producers used to have to register with customs and excise and report how much fuel they made every quarter and pay tax on it. these ruels were designed for major chemical plants but were being applied to homebrew producers so something was wrong.

of course few people bothered to register and it was an unenforceable law. this year they changed the rules saying that there was too much paper work for the C&E to deal with and made it tax exempt.

i don't see why the same thing couldn't happen with high powered electric bikes and MB's. but it would take a lot more people to have an impact.

Well, to make it legal you would need to have it regsitered with the DVLA (then tax insurance etc.) The law clearly states that any vehicle with a motor needs it, it just doesnt specifically mention motorized bikes. To get it registered these are the requirements:

Design and construction: thoroughly robust, sound and road worthy construction
Two rear view mirrors
Front white lamp capable of making a beam on the road, no dip beam needed
Rear lamp: red
Rear number plate fixing with white illumination
Stop lights: red, operated independently by front and rear brakes
Ball-end brake levers
Good brakes
Audible warning device: electric not a bulb type horn
Security device: padlock and chain or shackle lock fitted to machine
Side stand
Rear reflector
Pedal reflectors
Speedo: cycle computer type OK but needs to be capable of being illuminated
No external projections
Radio suppression
Noise below 65db at 75% power
Exhaust system needs European approval or manufacturer's name stamped on it
Proof of engine power below 1kW: Ideally they wanted it stamped on a plate on the engine.

So with a chinese happy time engine its basically impossible! Noise level would stop it the power is no way below 1kW and the engine is over 50cc, so you would need quite a bit of "creativeness" on the form! Also you have to actually take your bike to your local DVLA test centre where they assess it!

So your better off sticking to the old kill switch and pedal, not that I am approving of any illegal activity. Thats just silly. ;)

I found all my information from this site which tells the story of a guy who did get his frame mount GEBE style engine legalized.

Click here to see it

Last edited:
Much as I love looking at NACC I have to say that some of the people on there are a little anal retentive..

All things considered these machines are bikes. Yes, they have a small engine slapped on the back/middle/front (delete as applicable) but they are automatically safe for the road because thats what they are made for..

I have had no problems with police - I could be invisible as far as they are concerned and that is the way it should be. There is also the fact that if I hit a car at 30-35mph I am going to be the one that is hurt, not the BMW driving idiot who just pulled out, so why should I pay out £200 for type approval and insurance just so the inattentive nerk who just killed me can repair his front wing for free..?

I have been riding now for over two years and nary a problem so I think the insurance thing can be let lie - after all you can always say you didnt know... and the pink snuffling mammalian things with 18 nipples and a blue uniform cant say otherwise now can they....?

rant mode : off

Jemma xx

Back