Legal or not

Maybe, I think it depends on your weight, gradient of hills, pressure applied by the roller, whether your tyre wears out or delaminates first, obviously I haven't tried it out but from what I've read on here I think it's not for the typical UK conditions.

No it is definitely not legal to engage the roller to the tyre on public roads, unless you have registration, MOT, road tax, insurance, licence...

but I'm not sure it's even possible to get that MOT because of the legal tyres being thick, and thick tyres (as anyone who uses a turbo trainer will tell you) will delaminate when pressed against a roller for miles and miles.

No system is legal if you have the engine mechanically engaged to the drive wheel. Declutching doesn't count as disengaging.

The quickest system to legalise and re-ill-eagle-eyes is the shift kit with spring tensioned right hand jackshaft chain, like in the photo in my post you "liked" this morning. It means you have a pedal bicycle on the public roads and a motored bike on private land or wherever you decide it's safe.
View attachment 75887
What would that set up cost

You know I thought hmm a little engine on a push bike.....cheap as chips ....then all this law stuff.... life is just not fun any more but I did love putting it together lol
Can I have your HPCutter engine then? :p
I'm actually looking at them now and wondering if I should one just to get a single speed build done for something to ride while I finish mountain bike touring bike thing. How long did the kit take to arrive?

Tooka week to come and 2 hours to fit.... however it took a while to run it in right and who knows if I did it right lol
I think I will have to try one at the end of the month. They can't be worse than the eBay "Vevor" engine I got!
I think I will try the eBay Chinese knockoff clamshell sprocket mount, too. Though it would make it harder to convert between motorised and legal (more fuss to remove the chain), I'm struggling to get the cash to buy a proper shift kit from Sick Bike Parts and I did need to build a companion bike anyway. :)

sickbikeparts.com
I'm sure you'll want to have a good browse through all their stuff, then a search on the forum for all the best choices with regards to which kit options and why.
Shipping is free afaik within the USA but I am expecting it'll be a lot extra to get it shipped over here due to the weight and possibility of getting done for import duty (and the pound's still down atm).
I'm still absolutely convinced that it's the best and only convenient way to switch between a road legal, pedal bicycle (with zero extra pedalling resistance) and a motored bike configuration (with the side benefit of gears and freewheeling).

Back