Legal problems

G

Grapevine

Hello my name is Chris and I own a beautiful customised Schwinn 1980 Typhoon with a 212 cc predator engine. It will go well over 25mph but that doesn't mean you have to be going that fast. A motor that big will last much longer at 25 get my drift. I think a little 49 cc will wear itself out struggling to maintain 25 at Wide open throttle. I have a simple solution to the legal system and I want everyone to protest the stupid complicated laws about what's ON the BICYLE. The VIN number means bicycle which means it is unlawful for it to exceed 25mph whether it has a motor on it or not!!!!! It shouldn't matter what motor it has as long as the operator doesn't go over the bicycle speed limit or they get a speeding ticket for breaking the bicycle speed limit law. It shouldn't be a crime for crying out loud!!! Also what idiot thinks a lawnmower engine is a motorcycle engine!!!! A lawnmower engine is only good for 3600 rpm and a motorcycle engine is capable of 8 grand. They all turn 3600 rpm or throw a rod!!! Let's all protest and make the law simple for everyone so that it's regulated by a cops radar gun and not what the damn bike has!!!

Welcome to the forum.

Now, let’s focus.

You jammed a 212cc motor on a bicycle frame, creating a motorcycle. All state laws vary when it come to bicycle, mopeds and motorcycle regs but, without question, you created a motorcycle.

The simplest way of regulating these is to simply ban all motors on bicycles.
So I would keep quiet, fit a good muffler, and try to stay unnoticed by the authorities!

Btw I have never heard of this 25mph speed limit for bicycles. That would make most road racing bikes illegal. 52t:11t x 700c @ 100rpm = about 37mph

The simplest way of regulating these is to simply ban all motors on bicycles.
So I would keep quiet, fit a good muffler, and try to stay unnoticed by the authorities!

Btw I have never heard of this 25mph speed limit for bicycles. That would make most road racing bikes illegal. 52t:11t x 700c @ 100rpm = about 37mph

You got that right! A good group of bicycle riders can work together and cruise well into the 30’s. AFAIK, there are no bicycle specific speed limits anywhere in the US. On mountain descents, nothing outhandles a modern racing bicycle. I’ve descended in the 50’s many times. Exhilarating!

In Louisiana if it goes over 25 it's a motorcycle. Power is leagal only BELOW 1 horsepower. Most 49 cc engines are 2 hp and already illegal that's why the operator of the bike should be responsible not the bike itself. I Know 212cc is a bit much and I'm willing to replace it with the 79cc. I had one of those too. Top speed was 31 mph with my head down cutting the wind. I just don't want my engine to have to run wide open to go 25. They allow a 707 horsepower Dodge charger but not a lawnmower engine. I'm 54 years old and not interested in speed. I just want to get where I'm going.

I drove this bike for three years and never had any problems with the police because I drive slow and careful despite the 212. It is more quiet than a two stroke and retains the stock muffler. One day my cheap twist grip darnit broke and I stopped out of the way of traffic to see what happened meanwhile a curious police woman came over while I had the engine off and told me all about it. If it weren't for that twist grip !!! I still got the bike but all I do is look at it. Oh well. I think as long as the rider exercises care then that should be all that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.

Now, let’s focus.

You jammed a 212cc motor on a bicycle frame, creating a motorcycle. All state laws vary when it come to bicycle, mopeds and motorcycle regs but, without question, you created a motorcycle.
Well I just have to put my 49 cc back on so I can still go 25

I'm gonna miss that 212 kit. I bought it at gasbikes.net. It bolts right up to a Shwinn Typhoon nicely. They call it a death row hahaha. It's not so bad if you screw the governer throttle stop speed screw all the way to slow and put a large rear sprocket on. Just crack open the throttle and ease up to 20. Engine lives forever at about 1200 rpm. Oh well 25 is 25

I just thought of something. Let's say hipothedicaly a new legislation states that all motorized bicycles are required to have a new centrifugally operated brake system inside the rear hub effectively limiting the speed to 25. This hub has not been invented yet but it can exist and will solve a lot of legal problems. All the officer has to do is be sure the bike has it. What do ya say. It will limit all motors.

In CA you have to register it as a moped and the max speed is 30 mph. but nobody seems to care if you go 35-40 mph. The limit is no bigger than a 4 gross horse power engine. But you do have to register it and get a license plate (one time $21 fee, no renewal) and have a moped license.

Last edited:
A lawnmower engine is only good for 3600 rpm and a motorcycle engine is capable of 8 grand. They all turn 3600 rpm or throw a rod!!!
In CA you have to register it as a moped and the max speed is 30 mph. but nobody seems to care if you go 35-40 mph.
My 53cc 4 stroke spools at 9 grand (awaiting conrod explosion) at a 20:1 reduction for 35mph and climbs hills without pedaling. Probably should keep rpms a tad lower, but keeping up with traffic is nice. Cops have much better things to be doing than bug a motorized bicyclist that isn't breaking any real traffic laws such as 35 in a school zone, running stopsigns or driving like a madman endangering others. Keeping up with traffic is tons safer than having cars zoom passed you within a foot nearly launching you.

Back