Legality of gas powered "ebikes" in New Hampshire?

I can’t find anything about bicycles directly from the official DMV, only from the dmv.org site (not government owned). From what I know though, motorized bicycles are considered mopeds.
I was hoping I could find a loophole that would push a motorized bicycle into the eBike category. I’m not old enough to get a license, and regular eBikes are pretty expensive.
What you're referring too is when there's no actual specific statute so the closest applicable statute is applied. For example in my state Tennessee, there isn't a specific statute for an ebike so they apply TN 55-8-101(35) which is the motorized bicycle guidelines. It has a 2 horsepower limit, 30 mph speed limit, an automatic transmission clause and you must have a driver's license. So to apply it to electric standards the motor can't be over 1500 watts, you can't go over 30 mph, you can't manually shift motor driven gears and you must have a driver's license.

However in your state NH it clearly has statutes defining what is an ebike and what is a moped. Sorry but no legal loopholes for you.

Maybe he could get a little 2 stroke generator and power his e-bike with it! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Actually, that could be fun now I'm gonna be up all night giving google a reason to throw a bunch of new ads at me.

Maybe he could get a little 2 stroke generator and power his e-bike with it! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Actually, that could be fun now I'm gonna be up all night giving google a reason to throw a bunch of new ads at me.
This has been a debated subject. As to whats allowed as a power source to produce electricity. Since there aren't any clearly defining statutes it's then up to a judge's interpretation as to what's allowed as a power source for an electric motor. Which means it then becomes the judges opinion as to whether you're legal or not. When it comes to judges opinions one may rule in your favor and another judge may not.

I think there is loophole in there but it would cost a good penny to prove the point. How does your state define motor, motor in my term is any motor that's electric. But some states recognize motor as a engine. But to me a engine is any internal combustion engine. Then you got the pedals, that clearing defines it as a bicycle/e-bike in your state as long as motor is under 750watts. But some jurisdictions/states look at a engine & rate it in kilowatts instead of horsepower. I'm just chiming in & late to the game.

That is true. Also, in NM, if you have had a DUI in any other state in the past 10 years you can't get a NM license without an interlock, unless that state had you get an interlock.

I've also wondered. In my state, my motorized bicycle is legally a bicycle as long as it has pedals that work. We have trails that say, "no motorized traffic" (I still use them but shut off my engine when around other people)... An e bike is motorized right?
Florida law addresses the difference between electric and gas... electric are allowed on sidewalk and trails.. they are not a "motor vehicle" as defined but a moped is a motor vehicle.

well, if it does not have pedals... not all electrics are allowed on trails and certainly not sidewalks everywhere, at least in my town no bikes on the sidewalk within the downtown area. A Motor vehicle...electric motor or internal combustion engine....I think they go by horsepower thrown out but the said motors/engines I could be wrong though. I see people riding Sur Rons with pedals and that blows my mind but hell yeah i'd love to have one of them fo sho! :)

I forgot what we are talking about LOL

Ride Safe ya mugs! :cool:

HP

Back