Legality of gas powered "ebikes" in New Hampshire?

This is about the best I could find regarding NH law...Please also be aware that in NH, local laws and requirements may also apply over and above State law.

To the best of my knowledge even when I lived in NH for almost 20 yrs before i moved to NM 11 yrs ago, A motorised bike is considered at the very least, a moped and must be registered, insured, and the rider must be licensed for this class of vehicle...I think at this point, due to your age, Ebike is your one and only option as it is legal for a 14 yr old to ride one.
This is no longer true. Call or email the DMV. A converted bicycle with functioning pedals does not need to be registered. Can a 14 year old legally ride one, no.

This is no longer true. Call or email the DMV. A converted bicycle with functioning pedals does not need to be registered. Can a 14 year old legally ride one, no.
Looked up your site, there isn't a single place in that list the actual legal statutes. What is in that site at the bottom is a directory to some one trying to sell you kits and ebikes.

List the actual legal statutes to prove your point not a site where somebody is trying to sell you something.

OH, YES IT IS STILL TRUE...lol.

Looked up your sit, there isn't a single place in that list the actual legal statutes. What is in that site at the bottom is a directory to some one trying to sell you kits and ebikes.

List the actual legal statutes to prove your point not a site where somebody is trying to sell you something.
I did exacty that Jerry when I woke up this morning as it seems that Pontiac is still not posting actual law statutes to support his argument...lol...I called three different DMV offices just for grins and giggles knowing what to expect...lol, Dover Point, Derry, and Manchester, and guess what?...all three clerks I spoke with all had different answers...lol...Thats why I like to see what is written from actual legislation...As a former police LT from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, before I retired from that and went back to automotive in NH, which included getting my NH Motor Vehicles State Inspectors License issued by NH State Police, I always consulted statute law, not what any persons interpretation of the law has to say, that also includes DMV clerks...This is one of the reasons why Mass. has it's own Registry Police force and New Hampshire has State Police assigned to the various DMVs there...They are the ones you actually need to ask as they will quote you chapter and verse of your state law statutes regarding any type of motorised vehicle....Read below as I did...lol...I got it quoted chapter and verse as well as a follow up email from them so that it could be posted here in our forums...lol.

Here is the law for NH that pertains to our bikes as taken from NH RSA Statute sources.

Section 259:65
259:65 Motor-Driven Cycle. – "Motor-driven cycle'' shall mean any motorcycle or motor scooter with a motor which produces not to exceed 5 horse-power, and any bicycle with motor attached except any electrically powered bicycle that has a less than 750 watt motor, has functional pedals, and is capable of a maximum speed on level ground of less than 20 miles per hour.
Source. RSA 259:1, XIV-a. 1967, 415:3. 1976, 4:6. 1981, 146:1. 2010, 163:1, eff. June 17, 2010.

NH Motor-Driven Cycles
The New Hampshire DMV uses the term “motor-driven cycle” in reference to:

Motor scooters*.
Motorized bicycles.
Mopeds that DO NOT meet the criteria outlined above.
Small motorcycles (up to 5 horsepower).
To use a vehicle like this in New Hampshire, you need a motor-driven cycle license. For info on registering your vehicle, please contact your local DMV office or the main NH Registration office at (603) 227-4030.

*NOTE: Some cities (such as Manchester, for example) have special rules and regulations that apply to motorized scooters. Please contact a local law enforcement agency with any questions.

Licensing for NH Motor-Driven Cycles
To get your motor-driven cycle license, visit your local DMV office with:

A completed Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form DSMV450).
Your driver’s license, or non-driver ID.
Your motor-driven cycle.
Payment for the $55 motor-driven cycle license fee.
Be prepared to take any of the following tests, as well:

Knowledge exam.
Eyesight test.
Driving test.

A kit like this.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Looks like NH adopted the same thing as most other states. EBikes with less than xxx watts is still a bicycle:

"except any electrically powered bicycle that has a less than 750 watt motor, has functional pedals, and is capable of a maximum speed on level ground of less than 20 miles per hour."

Here's FL:

"(23) ELECTRIC BICYCLE.—A bicycle or tricycle equipped with fully operable pedals, a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, and an electric motor of less than 750 watts which meets the requirements of one of the following three classifications:
(a) “Class 1 electric bicycle” means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(b) “Class 2 electric bicycle” means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the electric bicycle and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(c) “Class 3 electric bicycle” means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour."

"
(44) MOPED.—Any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters. The term does not include an electric bicycle."

Looks like NH adopted the same thing as most other states. EBikes with less than xxx watts is still a bicycle:

"except any electrically powered bicycle that has a less than 750 watt motor, has functional pedals, and is capable of a maximum speed on level ground of less than 20 miles per hour."

Here's FL:

"(23) ELECTRIC BICYCLE.—A bicycle or tricycle equipped with fully operable pedals, a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, and an electric motor of less than 750 watts which meets the requirements of one of the following three classifications:
(a) “Class 1 electric bicycle” means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(b) “Class 2 electric bicycle” means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the electric bicycle and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(c) “Class 3 electric bicycle” means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour."

"
(44) MOPED.—Any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters. The term does not include an electric bicycle."
Much better seeing this than some site trying to sell you something.

Back