let me introduce myself...

W

wokenup

hey everyone,

i'm in the early stages of research for motorizing my old peugeot bicycle. i live in the san franciso bay area and i want to do things right...technically & legally speaking. i've already found some great info here...thanks.

i'm somewhat mechanically inclined, i have many citroen cars and have always been interested in (and owned) small engined vehicles like bmw isetta's, honda 600's, saab 96, and a kawasaki k100 motorcycle. i'm also a helicopter pilot.

i am not sure how i'm going to power my bike. electric is out due to limited range. but i dug up and old friction gas motor that was laying around in my dad's shop...i'm going to either start with that or just go with a new
49cc kit.

good riding to all...

well, there is a lot to learn about maintaining a bicycle at these speeds, luckily you don't have to worry about altitude if it breaks ;)

maybe you can start experimenting with the friction-drive while you decide what direction you're gonna take :)

welcome to MBc :cool:

Friction drives are easy and simple. And they can get you plenty speed. IF you dont keep the drive tension/tire pressure right, they can/will eat tires. And they no work so pretty good in the wet. Head over to the Rack em up section of the forum and fire away. Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!

thanks for the welcome...

thanks for welcoing me eveyrone...

just a little update. the gas friction motor i was messing with isn't going to work, it turns out to be seized an i don't really want to deal with that.

since i'm still trying to hold off on buying something new and because i do like to get my hands greasy i went digging through my dad's shop again. and found a pretty clean small 2-stroke...i just don't know anything about it. the ID plate on it says it's a WACKER 70017. i've tried to look up info online and i get nothing. i have found out that it might be a koeler engine the was used by wacker, but ??? either way, i have no idea what displacemet it is or if i can get parts for it.

i'll search the forum and try to find the appropiate subject area to maybe discuss this further.

Back