Let's build a morgan 3 wheeler?

There's several reasons one might want a 3 wheeler.

Practical reasons:
Most countries have a tax or higher poll rate on vehicles with 4 wheels or more. 3 wheelers quality as motorcycles and thus bypass this fee.

3 wheelers are economical. They don't weight nearly as much as a car so mpg is a lot better. There are also some kits that are cheaper than cars. 3 wheelers are also easier to work on.

Realistically they are just a ton of fun. 30 mph feels like 90 and they have massive oversteer. If i can build one for 2k, it'll be worth more to me than any car.

There's several reasons one might want a 3 wheeler.

Practical reasons:
Most countries have a tax or higher poll rate on vehicles with 4 wheels or more. 3 wheelers quality as motorcycles and thus bypass this fee.

3 wheelers are economical. They don't weight nearly as much as a car so mpg is a lot better. There are also some kits that are cheaper than cars. 3 wheelers are also easier to work on.

Realistically they are just a ton of fun. 30 mph feels like 90 and they have massive oversteer. If i can build one for 2k, it'll be worth more to me than any car.

Oh okay, good to know, thanks.

I'm sure you've seen it at some point on tv or the internet. A 3 wheeled, v twin powered trike with a hundred year old history.

Usually, these beautiful machines would go for 30+ grand, but what if they were built out of bicycle parts instead?

My idea is to use a 212cc predator, 2 front wheels from a bicycle mounted to a basic pivot front end and a fabricated frame made mostly from squared steel. The most difficult part is the differential drive train. What do you think?

No problem, use TWO Predator, one to power each front wheel!
A simple flexible shaft to each wheel axle (1/2"rubber hose, stiff steel cable, etc) would work.

Otherwise the simplest (and lightest) thing to do is to power the back wheel just like a bicycle.

You are aware the Morgan had a wooden frame? Ash I believe.

EDIT. This got me wondering, so I looked it up (great video):
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/ar...ng-morgan-chassis-are-made-wood-true-or-false

Last edited:
No problem, use TWO Predator, one to power each front wheel!
A simple flexible shaft to each wheel axle (1/2"rubber hose, stiff steel cable, etc) would work.

Otherwise the simplest (and lightest) thing to do is to power the back wheel just like a bicycle.

You are aware the Morgan had a wooden frame? Ash I believe.
I've drawn up a design with my brother in law. We're going to use a 20 hp v twin predator with a centrifugal clutch that runs to a jack shaft to power the back wheel. We found a really nice fiber glass body to compensate for the steel frame.

A 3 wheeled vehicle is considered a motorcycle in the States.
-a vehicle with four wheels must meet the same crash and safety standards as your Chevy or Toyota, adding weight, complexity and $$$$.

Back