Lets change the law in Britain

B

BSA

I'm fed up with the fact that we cannot legally operate motorized bicycles. It is legal to use an electric bicycle but not to use a motor, even if it may yield a the same power.

Perhaps we could get in claiming that it is desighned as a slow vehicle, maximum design speed of 6 K/H. Do you think we can change the law on this one. I'm going to contacting vendors selling in the U.K and I'm going to draft a few letters to the DVLA.

Woo! yes that would be fantastic! the freedom! If theres any way I could help just say, there really is a huge oppurtunity for motored bikes at the moment. The site had a new record number of visitors yesterday. Plus global warming, rising petrol prices, rise in fat people (would sort of help, just advertise it as pedal assist)

O.K the current law surrounding this is rather complicated so I'll make it as clear as possible.
There is two possible ways we could could legalise motoredbikes.
route 1:
We get the legistration for electric bikes changed too include small petrol engines.
There is two sets of legistration that defines an electric bike. There is the EU definition which is unrealistic for us to change. There is also a british standards definition, penned in 1983. This is still legally binding. The definition of an electric bicycle dictates that it a ebike shall only have one electric motor.

To change the legistration allowing for petrol motors of up to 200w would involve contacting the British standards institute. Really this is not all that feasible, as british standards were asked to legally define and *electric* bicycle, not one with a small petrol engine. It remains a more credible option.

route 2
Another way would be to lobby for a new class of vehicle, motorized bicycel to be created. This is very unlikely, there are too many safety doo-gooders about to pass this.

route 3
I think a feasible option is two get a judgement from a court classifying a motoredbike as a A. bicycle B. electric bicycle. We could get special dispensation to operate such vehicles, even if it has not been classified as a type of vehicle.

Any more ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

BSA

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm annoyed with the power limit on electric bikes at 200watts (really slow)

i tried writing to my MP and i got a response but i don't think they were that bothered. this is the letter i wrote. the response listed higher American road casualties and a danger to "vulnerable road users" as reasons not to take it further.
-we are vulnerable road users, dur?!, and road casualty differences between two countries prove nothing.

i wish you all the best in your quest to get mb's legalised, so i could get one then!

i am writing to you with a new idea that could win your government the votes of the many "green voters" that party leaders are so eager to court. electric bikes are a new form of personal transport that is environmentally friendly, cheap and convenient. the combination of electric bike, train and taxi has the potential to replace cars and save people hundreds of pounds a year. electric bikes are safer that normal bikes because the extra speed gives car drivers longer to see you when they overtake and the strong battery pack can power big lights making electric bikes more visible at night.

EU legislation currently allows cyclists to use electric motors of up to 200 watts (continuous) and for no more than 15 mph. this was incorporated into to English law and made electric bikes possible. however the law is obsolete and restrictive, which limits the technology to niche markets such as the elderly. 200 watts is not even enough to climb a hill and pedal cyclists can travel at much faster speeds. this is a shame because a higher power limit would encourage many other people to get on two wheels and would reduce this countries carbon emissions considerably.

above this 200 watt limit an electric bike is classed as a moped and then requires a European type-approval certificate, MSVA Testing, insurance, tax and MOT. insurance is impossible to get because the non-standard vehicle will not be on an insurers database and will be refused.

the current UK law is unenforceable because it is impossible for police to tell weather a bike is over 200 watts. the law is too vague because there is no limit on peak power which allows a big loop hole for people to exploit. in the USA the limit is 750 watts and some states allow 1000 watts. in this country horse riders can drive 500 kg animals with 1 horse power (750 watts), very little control and do not need to pay for tax, insurance or MOT.

if the government were to pass a bill to increase the UK electric bike power limit in line with America this would be very popular among green voters, cyclists and anyone bored of inner city traffic ques.

Last edited:
way to go monster! theres a great start! perhaps if we could modify this letter by also talking about petrol engines, then use it as a template and get people to send it to their local MP's, also send summarys of it to local newspapers and websites. Then once the cause is a bit more publicized we could start a government petition on the prime ministers' web site. http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/new check it out, anybody can put forward a petition, there already thousands! we just need to grab peoples attention.

Excellent, lets get together a mail bombardment campain against the mp's. I've spoken to the main vendor in the U.K and he reckons we need to get more riders that way there is more pressure on the goverment. There will also be less power for them to stop us if there was more riders. So we need ot get more riders in the U.K and get a campain started. I'm not that fussed about raising the power as no policeman can tell a 1000 watt from a 200 watt but petrol engines up to 200 watt should be legalised. I now that the engines are more powerful than that but we can also create false rating plates.

BSA

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest my research has led me to believe that unless a law sais something, it is just a bike. I'm going to ask a judge, outside of court, what he thinks on the matter.

BSA

Hi Guys,

My wife and I (currently in Germany) are considering a move to the FT Bragg area in Fayetteville NC. I am also considering a Spooky tooth 'Quarve' would I realisically be able to ride it there pretty much where ever I wanted and what if I wanted to go with the 80cc version? thanks, Rhett

Each state has its own laws (or lack thereof.) If there is no law on the books, then a MB is usually assumed to be a moped, which requires registration and licensing.

several states have used the "less than 48cc" guideline, and more include a 20 MPH limit. Above which, the motored bike legally transforms into a moped. Don't ask me how that transformation takes place, because it makes no sense to me that you could peddle the bike faster than 20 MPH, and not be considered a moped, but if you motor at that speed, you are... Or. maybe you COULD be considered a moped, if a motor is attached, even if you're not using it. I don't know.

Back