Let's change the law on motorized bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Billy,
Can you show how you came to understand they need to be tagged? From what I understand gas engines in bikes exceeding 50cc aren't clearly defined.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.551.htm#551.351
Alright, under your updated code sub c (10) a motor-driven cycle is defined as under 250cc, so they have classified motors over 50cc as motor driven cycles, defined clearly as also motorcycles, which are classified as motor vehicles within the same definition. All motor vehicles require "tagging" in Texas, mopeds are not exempt (as they are classified as motor-driven cycles,) and only electric bicycles are exempt from being defined as a moped.

TL;DR
I've been around the proverbial block once or twice so lemme crack this knowledge egg on yo ass real quick-like.
IT'S ALL ABOUT DEM DOLLAZ AND $EN$E

Texas decided to clearly define the big ones like vehicle, trailer, motorcycle, etc... in fact, it recently expanded the motorcycle laws/restrictions because there's way more bikers these days. They decided not to define what a motorized bike is intentionally. First, there's only a few of us dumb enough to share the road with all the lifted trucks hauling ass everywhere. So, they wouldn't really "help ($$$)" anybody. They'd probably end up with some laws that would keep your bike from going fast or being loud because, face it, we're talking about the government, bub. Another thing: sensible motorized bike laws would be impossible to make it past the House, way before ever getting to ol' Greg's desk. Them hypothetical "laws" would be impossible to enforce too.. the po-po ain't gonna measure your engine displacement on the side of the road. And if they did cite you, it'd be too easy to get dismissed in court, so no money. Really, that's the thing right there, it's not a State thing it's a municipal thing. My 'hood just copied and pasted the scooter part and off-road vehicle part, no mention of "motorized bicycle" or anything of the sort. Bro, in Texas they are street*-legal (not highways, duh), don't require a license, don't require inspection/registration, don't require minimum liability, don't require a helmet. Just follow bike laws m8, and u good.
They haven't defined a motorized bicycle because it's almost as convoluted as defining a custom built hot-rod, I could buy and cut all the steel into a frame and build all the linkage to a very powerful motor and rig up a transmission and haul ass at 120mph on the roads but in a court they wouldn't see my point that they had intentionally not made a law regarding my home built device. I couldn't pretend as if I was riding a wheelchair in court, basically. What I basically would be driving is a car, and they already have laws regarding such.

In the updated link you provided the definition of a highway (Sec. 541.302. (5)) is: "Highway or street" means the width between the boundary lines of a publicly maintained way any part of which is open to the public for vehicular travel.

So you aren't street, road, or highway legal, and by definition you aren't freeway legal either (which is what Texas really calls what you and most people call a 'highway'.) And in the same section under (16) a sidewalk ("Sidewalk" means the portion of a street that is: (A) between a curb or lateral line of a roadway and the adjacent property line; and (B) intended for pedestrian use.) is actually technically defined as a portion of the street, and since motor vehicles are restricted from being ridden on sidewalks AND you aren't tagged then you aren't sidewalk street legal either, b**ch.

Last edited:
In pa you can register a 49cc one as a moped you just need lights and taillight and possibly horn and have to register it for $9 and only need a class c. I think getting an actual moped would be cheaper though. And you wouldn't have to deal with chinsy generator coils with steel wires. There is a bike called the ssr lazer 5 that I saw going for $700 with 45 miles on it.

I wonder if anyone has tried using one of the little 2 stroke 49cc electric start bikes and using the parts off that to build a motorized bike. My brother in law has one and I might get it soon.

Hi my name is Billy Cooper I am a proud owner of a high performance motorized bicycle I'm looking for a group of proud Riders and owners that would be willing to go with me to demand to speak to the Texas governor as taxpayers so we can get the law changed on motorized bikes the laws are ridiculous and makes no sense the laws say we cannot ride them unless they are registered and insured but yet DMV refuses to register them and insurance companies refuse to insure them if this sounds like something you would be interested in helping with please contact me at BillyRC30 at gmail.com with subject let's change the law
I'm still after the state to put on their Texas license plate the lone schoolboy assassin with shadow pic of a boy on a bicycle wearing army shel helmet and scope rifle slung over his shoulder. They said they well consider it take it into review this what they came back with a lizard a horny toad on the plate hinting the state recognizes reptilian. Well, that's close Reptilian JFKz but I know more seen JFK bare ass naked he was a Yogi Spider with a head ornament contouring a slime skin hide disguise. Close but no cigar. Big ass spiders.

I'm still after the state to put on their Texas license plate the lone school
IMG_20180708_175749518.jpg
IMG_20180708_175749518.jpg
boy assassin with shadow pic of a boy on a bicycle wearing army shel helmet and scope rifle slung over his shoulder. They said they well consider it take it into review this what they came back with a lizard a horny toad on the plate hinting the state recognizes reptilian. Well, that's close Reptilian JFKz but I know more seen JFK bare ass naked he was a Yogi Spider with a head ornament contouring a slime skin hide disguise. Close but no cigar. Big ass spiders.

Alright, under your updated code sub c (10) a motor-driven cycle is defined as under 250cc, so they have classified motors over 50cc as motor driven cycles, defined clearly as also motorcycles, which are classified as motor vehicles within the same definition. All motor vehicles require "tagging" in Texas, mopeds are not exempt (as they are classified as motor-driven cycles,) and only electric bicycles are exempt from being defined as a moped.

They haven't defined a motorized bicycle because it's almost as convoluted as defining a custom built hot-rod, I could buy and cut all the steel into a frame and build all the linkage to a very powerful motor and rig up a transmission and haul ass at 120mph on the roads but in a court they wouldn't see my point that they had intentionally not made a law regarding my home built device. I couldn't pretend as if I was riding a wheelchair in court, basically. What I basically would be driving is a car, and they already have laws regarding such.

In the updated link you provided the definition of a highway (Sec. 541.302. (5)) is: "Highway or street" means the width between the boundary lines of a publicly maintained way any part of which is open to the public for vehicular travel.

So you aren't street, road, or highway legal, and by definition you aren't freeway legal either (which is what Texas really calls what you and most people call a 'highway'.) And in the same section under (16) a sidewalk ("Sidewalk" means the portion of a street that is: (A) between a curb or lateral line of a roadway and the adjacent property line; and (B) intended for pedestrian use.) is actually technically defined as a portion of the street, and since motor vehicles are restricted from being ridden on sidewalks AND you aren't tagged then you aren't sidewalk street legal either, b*tch.

<Time-out>

If greater than 50cc & less than 250cc then it's a Motor-driven Cycle
(10) "Motor-driven cycle" means a motorcycle equipped with a motor that has an engine piston displacement of 250 cubic centimeters or less. The term does not include an electric bicycle.
if it's a Motor-driven Cycle then it's a Motorcycle........ <<Yes I am with u brah>>
Butt, what's a Motorcycle?
Well, Butt, Sec. 661.001. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(1) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle designed to propel its god-damn self with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and having a saddle for the use of the rider. The term does not include a tractor or a three-wheeled vehicle equipped with a cab or occupant compartment, seat, and seat belt and designed to contain the operator in the cab or occupant compartment.

Frankenstein, i am a little confizzled on your stance of whether you believe motorized bikes are clearly defined as illegal, legal but requiring registration and not defined, ergo not illegal....

<Kk Time-in>

<Time-out>

If greater than 50cc & less than 250cc then it's a Motor-driven Cycle
(10) "Motor-driven cycle" means a motorcycle equipped with a motor that has an engine piston displacement of 250 cubic centimeters or less. The term does not include an electric bicycle.
if it's a Motor-driven Cycle then it's a Motorcycle........ <<Yes I am with u brah>>
Butt, what's a Motorcycle?
Well, Butt, Sec. 661.001. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(1) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle designed to propel its god-damn self with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and having a saddle for the use of the rider. The term does not include a tractor or a three-wheeled vehicle equipped with a cab or occupant compartment, seat, and seat belt and designed to contain the operator in the cab or occupant compartment.

Frankenstein, i am a little confizzled on your stance of whether you believe motorized bikes are clearly defined as illegal, legal but requiring registration and not defined, ergo not illegal....

<Kk Time-in>
My stance would depend on the state in question. In your state (or the one primarily mentioned) mopeds and motor driven cycles are all considered motorcycles which are considered motor vehicles. The definition of a moped is such that it is enough to categorize a motored bike as one. You are right that they did not create a law specifically for a motorized bicycle as you like to call it and so it is illegal to operate without meeting the requirements for a moped.

Get out of the fantasy land, if you were operating a hovercraft on the road then yeah f***ing sure you'd be in the clear, certainly zero definitions on that one. A 2 wheeled motorized vehicle with pedals is ubiquitously known as a god damn moped (motorized pedalcycle.) it has been defined regardless of how hard you try to say it isn't. I've been through this argument before, unless the laws change to be similar to our new sexual identification laws (like I'm a man but I can call myself a woman and be recognized as such, even legally) you just won't be able to take a moped or a car or something else and call it by a name that "hasn't been defined yet" to get out of what you're trying to weasel out of.

The law has always been a game of what has been written, not one of what has yet to exist. Good example are people convicted of a crime that later on was considered not a crime, after the change in law those people can be released from prison, have their criminal records erased, and even receive compensation for having been wrongly accused/imprisoned.

There was a time when slaves were free but legally they were still slaves. Unfortunately until the time that was changed they had to live with the situation they had on hand, laws changed and so then those people were completely undeniably free, no man could hold them bound to slave labor after that because the definition of man was changed to include everyone and the definition of a slave changed from a piece of property to a harsh and inhumane existence, which was also illegal to support.

Yeah I'd say at this time you're a slave to the system, if you don't like it stop crying on the internet and find somebody willing to get shot in the head to support you and move forward.

No where does the state statutes mention that a motorcycle cannot have pedals. A motorcycle is defined as having a motor over over 50cc. Since most of the motors we are discussing are over 50cc, the state will consider them motorcycles.

My riding consists of ranch roads on private property and some public farm roads, 10 miles from the nearest town. I use it to check cattle and fence lines, that makes it farm use, no license required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back