CVT LF's Buggy Bike got itself a CVT today!!

I think BGF sells the 36-44 T freewheel sprockets on ebay.

Edit
No, it's a different seller who has a couple of 'em. http://cgi.ebay.com/motor-motorized...s=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

He has two listings of these sprockets; both are listed as 40T in the listing title, but in the listing body, one says 36T...

You would have to get the new hub laced in to a wheel, also...

Note: This seller MAY be the latest EBay reincarnation of RevolutionCycles though... His last reincarnation, ultimaterevolution, is no longer an active member...

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
AHHH!!!! THAT'S IT!

That 15 mm adapter is the same as a 1/2 inch.
(A 15 mm wrench is very close to a 1/2 inch wrench)

I can do that because it has two set screws to keep it tight on the jack shaft then I can mount a 16T freewheel and keep that 36 tooth with my drum brake!

Next month when I have money again I'm ordering it.

WOW loquin. Thanks a million.

This solves my gearing and my brakes. Hopefully though a 16T with that 36 T sprocket isn't too low. Maybe they make a 15T freewheel?
I'm thinking old school BMX that 16 is the smallest size.

Man. This can work on Cronus. a 17T or 18T on that 26 inch wheel with that 48T should be plenty low and it would freewheel without modifying the wheel whatsoever!

Last edited by a moderator:
1/2 inch = 12.7mm

The smallest freewheel that I've seen (for 1-3/8 inch threads) is 16T. I saw (with metric threads) a freewheel that was 14t or 15t, but, the adapter doesn't exist, AFAIK.

FYI. In the future, there are 10T sprockets for the CVT output, but in a #35 chain. This is less strong than #41 chain, but, at the higher RPMs from CVT to Jackshaft, it wouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Edit. I lied! Here's a 14 tooth at EBay...

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
YAY!!
I got some birthday money today.
It's a parent thing. They get mad when I don't accept a monetary gift from them so I learned to be grateful.
Anyway when that check clears I'm grabbing that 15 mm adapter it's only slightly larger than the 1/2 inch axle I can work around that and get a 14T (yay) to go with my 36T wheel welded at the muffler shop then it's gonna so rule and I'll finally have me some decent brakes!
Then again,maybe I should go with a 15T.
I made a mistake with the little gearbox on the secondary pully. On this particular CVT that gearbox is closer to 3 and a half turns for one revolution not 3:1.
Thinking about Cronus here,all I would need to make Cronus a CVT freewheel is a freewheel on the jackshaft. With the standard 5:1 gearbox to make overall gearing 3:1 (actually 3.5:1) replacing the standard 10T to a 15T freewheel would be equal to half a 5:1 to be 2.5:1 correct me if I'm wrong. So a 16T,17T or perhaps an 18T should be right on the ballpark.
I shudder to think of the possibilities.
I really would leave Cronus alone though. It's pretty perfect and still my daily ride.
When I need to get groceries or fill up my propane tank for my Barbecue or haul the goggies it's the Buggy Bike.
For long distances and running errands it's Cronus hands down.
MOOP2 is for the neighbors. It's weird like that.
Maybe on a different bike. One with Wheelman wheels drum up front I rather must have that drum up front and one of them axle grabber rear sprocket things mentioned around here or there....
My daughters car will be fully payed off in August so I'll be having some extra change.

YAY!!
I got some birthday money today.
It's a parent thing. They get mad when I don't accept a monetary gift from them so I learned to be grateful.
Anyway when that check clears ...

He said with confidence...
ROFL
Thanks, Large!
I needed a chuckle
WC

So the muffler shop did it for 10 dolla.
Here it is on my bike.
Notice how the sprocket is on the other side.
That's okay I'll just slide the jack shaft sprocket over.
For now I'll see what that 15T will do as far as gearing.
If it's going to top gear but the top speed is slower than 20 mph then I'll know to get a 14T.
If it's still not going to top gear I can go 16T or 17T
That 15mm adapter is in the mail.
Then I'll just pick up that freewheel BMX sprocket at the bike shop.
Also since I now have DECENT BRAKES I'm finding that the way wide #40 chain is what's making that bang bang noise when I apply my coaster.(Both chains rub in back.The thinner chain solves this There's another chain that actually drives the coaster.)
Bike shop wanted 30 bucks for their chain and I would need 2 sets because it's back there from the crank so I grinned and bought Wal Marts chain.
It's okay. I have decent drum brakes up front now!
Tomorrow....I ride... after getting a new brake cable and I'm sure other things!

Attachments

• Photo1030.jpg
    Photo1030.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Photo1033.jpg
    Photo1033.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 308
I messed up. I should have ordered the 5/8 adapter because the metric equivalent to a 1/2 inch is 13mm not 15mm this hit me today while wrenching on a 13mm nut..
But that's okay. I have these 5/8 to 1/2 reducers just squeeze one into that 15mm hole then grab a 1/2 inch drill bit.
I was able to get most of it together it's funny when I run it with the wheel off the air to check my alignments when I drop the throttle the wheel just stops. :(
But it does look like it's the right gearing.
I'm done with it today. Other stuff I gotta tend to.
Tomorrow it's put on the brake cable and change that fat chain.

I think these reducers are of a softer metal then the adapter and it has a good size gap so slipping it in should be no problem. I also can maybe go a smigen smaller than a 1/2 on the reducer so it would fit really tight.
It should be ready to go tomorrow.
I'll do a video.
Still waiting on the adapter but no hurry.

Back