CVT LF's Buggy Bike got itself a CVT today!!

Dang! They DO make such an animal!
The adapter came in today and I bored it out with my reducer inside the hole squeezed in there but it was work.
Turns out a 1/2 inch drill bit is too small.
I just worked it till the 1/2 inch shaft fits snug.

15T fixed jack shaft. 36T fixed wheel.
Even with no freewheel it's not too bad.
The freewheel sprocket has to wait though till pay day. :(
The 15T does good,but it's still not getting to high gear. It gets close though.
I'm gonna pick up a 16T when pay day comes.
Bike shop says 20 bucks.

YouTube - Buggy Bike Ride with drum brake fixed wheel 36T and 15T Jack Shaft

dude. epic find! 60.oo dollers!!!!!!!!!!! i bought my p.o.s. gearbox that broke in a week for 130 from grubee!!!! im glad my bike didnt sell, cause im getting one of these suckers. then i might sell it..... i need money to buy an alt and calipers for my car.... i turn 16 july 7th....

anyway, awesome find.

oh, and be careful gunning it down hills. latley on the scootdawg fourms we've been getting tons of cases of blown motors cause people with cvts have been doing just that, and they dont let off the throttle. i saw a pic of an engine that tore itself a new azz hole lol. it does take a bit to get used to the cvt doing its thing. it also acts as its own downshift brake lol

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's a 4-stroke engine it should be OK. With any direct drive, (and, a centrifugal clutch is 'direct drive' when engaged,) engine braking a 2-stroke engine for very long is a big NO-NO, as not supplying any throttle is also not supplying any lubrication to the engine...

If it's a 4-stroke engine it should be OK. With any direct drive, (and, a centrifugal clutch is 'direct drive' when engaged,) engine braking a 2-stroke engine for very long is a big NO-NO, as not supplying any throttle is also not supplying any lubrication to the engine...

yeah, ive got the same engine as large... hes got the titan kit, ive got the frame mount...

i agree as far as the engine braking... what i really ment was that until the clutch stops spinning (say you get to 5mph, or lock the wheel) it still pulls the motor along with it. im not really framillar with 2 stroke cvt's, cause i dont own one

oh, and large, did the clutch have roller weights in it? cause if you want it to spin faster just get some lighter weights. i did that to my 50cc scoot and gained a ton of takeoff speed. id imagine that would also help with the cvt not getting up to full speed. but you already fixed that so i guess im late lol

Duane sent me upgraded bearings and an axle with hardware the other day. I forgot to thank him. THANKS DUANE!!

I'm gonna work on the Buggy bike today.
That's a freewheel jackshaft with the upgraded bearings. 16t

Also need to work on making my wheel sprocket more true.

Maybe it's just loose or the person that welded the plate made it warp a bit.

I can fix it with some washer adjustments.

Even if it's off a bit I can compensate by using a wider #40 chain.

I should have the finished done deal with riding video's real soon.

Oh the 15mm to 1/2 adapter I used a copper pipe that fit over a 1/2 inch shaft.

Perfect fit. Just had to cut an end to compensate.

And Tater, Duane sent me lighter clutch springs that made engagement happen sooner.
This engine on the Buggy Bike is nearing 6 thousand miles and still on the original clutch!

Attachments

• Photo1074.jpg
    Photo1074.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 285
  • Photo1075.jpg
    Photo1075.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 332
Couple of video's here.

This video is basically a walk thru on my set up. The epic win here was that the freewheel sprocket and the CVT sprocket couldn't be more lined up. In fact it's so lined up I used a BMX chain to link it up. Then to tighten it down just slide the engine forward or back.

It's almost like it was meant to be.
There's other stuff here too like that CVT adjustment nut and the #40 chain to help compensate the not so perfectly aligned wheel sprocket.

YouTube - BuggyBike

And here's my riding video.

It's really slow when your climbing a small hill and although it's fast enough on the top end I could do with a not so low bottom end so a 14T sprocket may be idea. I'm 280 pounds so my 115 pound son I'm sure could get that CVT in top gear with that 14t he already can do it effortlessly with that 16t.
Notice too the sheer epic win of that freewheel.
Sorry my finger cut off this video but I got enough to show you guys the gearing and stuff.

YouTube - BB ride

To be honest,the verdict is still out on this puppy. That 14T should make a world of difference. With the 14T I could probably keep up with scooters!

Right now with the 16T it's great on the low end when you want to crawl like when I ride in my back lawn with my dogs chasing me but when you want to accelerate I have to almost be at WOT just to get moving.

Money's always tight. I'll report again when I get that 14T.

Hi Large -

Your setup is very inventive, seems like it could solve some problems ? I have a rear mount DAX titan also on a Kulana Moon dog.

From your pics, I am wondering if, at least on a multispeed bike with a 7 speed rear cassette, you could bypass the jackshaft altogether and just run bike chain from the output on the CVT to one of the cassette gears ?

I think to do this would need to remove the derailer, and "fix" the pedal chain to one gear, most likely to the smallest one. Then would need a freewheel sprocket on the crank. This part is a lot of work.

But it might be worth it, as you take a lot of "transmission" out of the loop this way, would give you more power. You would have to play with the output gear, need one that would run bike chain, and also the number of teeth - seems like you could find a reasonable ratio on at least one of the cassette gears ? Does the output gear slide on the shaft - in other words, can you reposition it on the shaft ? This would be necessary to align the chain with whatever gear you might use on the cassette.

Just curious, as this is something I might like to try. In addition, I would use a freewheel sprocket on the CVT output, as you mention the CVT has too much drag to freewheel.

Kind of a poor man's NuVinci, right ?

What do you think ?

Chris

LF i have a cvt mounted to honda gxh50. Just recieved clone from dax and also have two cvt's in front of me along with box dax uses on his builds. if you have the same box on your other ride you might look at the clutch bell housing on both that and the cvt. it looks to me that there is a 3/16" difference in the depths. what i'm trying to say is that it is not your weight that is giving you the problem but in my opinion that maybe you are not getting all the clutch when you are using the cvt. at 195# cvt pulls me along just fine. Btw (i used to weigh 326#) hope this helps. bob

Back