LF's Trike powered by Titan Front Wheel Drive!

Nice ride Legend. I know you've been wanting a trike for a while. Looks like you've got a good setup there.

So my drum brake front wheel the plate I bolted the sprocket to became rather loose and starting warping out the sprocket. So I went to the thrift store and made a major discovery! A 20 inch bike with a 5 speed hub! Half off today. Total take? 9 dolla for the bike!
So I installed that thing and to fix the sprocket is on the wrong side dilemma I just slid the jackshaft sprocket over.
Bottom line,now it's pretty FAST! Yes. That's a 415 chain wrapped around a chain ring that's supposed to take a skinny derailier chain. The chain ring is a 28 (I forget maybe a 29) tooth on a 20 inch rim.
I also changed the pedal sprocket to I think a 48 tooth so I should have plenty of momentum to get the speed going with the engine.
First two pics are what happened to my original sprocket. First pic see that brake support inside the hole? Second pic shows how easily you can turn that plate. Now that brake support is gone!
Third pic is my score today! That back rim is now my front rim for my trike. I may use that fork later. I dunno.
Fourth pic is my before shot where the jack shaft normally goes.
Pic 5: Jackshaft sprocket slid over,415 chain laced over large sprocket. It was actually rather easy to do.
Pic 6: I took this shot after an amazing ride!
The freewheel is a bonus. It's strange when I stare at my engine while riding I'm sure it has to be at least 30 mph today I was flying,how when I let off the throttle my chain just stops spinning and the freewheel takes over.
Oh and from MOOP 1 I had a NoMoreFlat tube that's rather torn up. I trimmed it down to accept a 20 inch tire. That's up front,yo. Those things are almost 20 bucks! I think I have 2 more to handle the back side,then when I do my hauling I need not worry about a flat.
Yes,with this gearing,I may see some miles on this dawg.

Attachments

• Photo0692.jpg
    Photo0692.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 449
  • Photo0693.jpg
    Photo0693.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 442
  • Photo0690.jpg
    Photo0690.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 455
  • Photo0694.jpg
    Photo0694.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 434
  • Photo0695.jpg
    Photo0695.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 429
  • Photo0698.jpg
    Photo0698.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 475
Last edited by a moderator:
So my gearing I have gone to about 40 mph way way too fast for my blood especially when right now all I have for brakes is my coaster I need to change my fork to get any front brakes going. Then because of my way tall gearing I needed to really pedal along with engine on any hill so hill climbing was simply not there.
So here's my fix!
12 tooth sprocket from Grainger.
It made a HUGE difference. Now the power is at a lower speed and it just pulls along up those hills and I can still get 25 mph on the straights,just about the right top speed for a trike.
The chain is a #40 from Lowes. Wider than a 415 chain. And Grainger has these sprockets in different teeth up to 25 teeth so anything is possible.
Yes,if you have a 24 or 26 inch trike those 5 speed hubs are way more common than a 20 inch and you can mount it up front using a sprocket like mine. I calculate for a 24 inch trike to use a 16 tooth and an 18 tooth for a 26 inch rim.
Benefits? Freewheel for next to nothing those hubs you can get them dime a dozen practically. And because that 28 tooth sprocket is not bolted on it's as true as can be.

I'm thinking too that a 25 tooth sprocket may work for something like a 20 tooth THREE SPEED up front.

And chain adjusting for tension is easy. Washer here a washer there epic win!

To install the old style jackshaft has the 10 tooth sprocket welded on to the jack shaft. The newer version has the sprocket bolted on. I have the old style so I just flipped the jackshaft around.

Attachments

• Photo0702.jpg
    Photo0702.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 477
  • Photo0703.jpg
    Photo0703.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 447
Oh no just the one gear. In fact that 415 chain is too thick to even use on the other gears.
I'm gonna scour the thrift stores within the next month for a 20 inch three speed hub with a 20 tooth sprocket! Oh yea THEN I will have GEARS!!!
I figure a 20 tooth sprocket rim will need about a 16 tooth jackshaft sprocket. It would be a bit more if I'm dealing with a 26 inch wheel but this puppy is a 20 inch.
Yea I'm pretty lucky that Grainger has a local store so incredibly close to me! They carry a 16 tooth for about 12 bucks or so.
If this was a 26 inch wheel the sprocket I would need would be about a 24 tooth. And with that you can run a 26 inch 3 speed hub 20 tooth sprocket up front trike or bike!
And even the three speed hubs freewheel too! And the hub sprocket would be as true as can be. And these 3 speed rims are pretty much everywhere but wish me luck finding one with a 20 inch rim. I REALLY lucked out finding that 20 inch 5 speed rim as it is.

And if I had $$$ a Nuvinchi hub laced to a 20 inch rim would absolutely RULE!!!!

Next time you mess with that upper chain, you might want to think about turning the master link clip around. Looks to me like you've got the open end running forward. (Probly not a problem, but better safe than sorry). Great work LFL.

Back