License Plate --where to put it

Hi Mark -- I got interestest when I saw this post -- reason -- my Calif license plate should be in the mail ?? It's been at least a month since I went in and applied -- I HAD NOT PLANNED ON INSTALLING A LIGHT ON MY LICENSE PLATE !! I have been wondering where to put this thing when it comes in ?? Please let us know how the good old installation goes.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Hi Mountainman, I'm getting some really good ideas from the rest of the members here. Thanks everybody! It'll take a little over a month for your license plate and registration paper to arrive. Strange, but they assign your bike a VIN number (not your bike's frame number) and license plate number. It says to keep the registration paper in your wallet. I don't think you need a light on your plate; just that when a car's headlights shine on it, it should be visible from way back to 300 feet. I'm just going to use aluminum brackets. I'll show it when the plate's is on the bike.

Last edited:
This is how I mounted my fake license plate, might give ya an idea maybe. I drilled out a bracket to go over the wheel stud and the nut holds it and the wheel on.

Attachments

• l_aede8796c42434feae6829ede372769b.jpg
    l_aede8796c42434feae6829ede372769b.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 192
Got my Ca. plate - with the Station friction drive unit - much flat area available - wooden light switch cover found in garage epoxyed to back of plate for re-inforcement - a couple of metal L brackets from the local hardware - more epoxy - done and strong.. I don't think that the pooolice see to many of these plates around - one pooolice officer the other day - gave it a long interesting look. It does seem like a good idea -- plate may keep them away -- hoping anyway.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

zipdrivex, for a minute i thought i was looking at a motorcycle! good way to mount the plate!

dwsutton, as long as it's under 50cc, under 2hp, under 30mph, without an automatic tranny, no registration is required. Mine can do a couple of the above, so I registered it to be on the safe side. And the DMV deemed it necessary. I'm cool with it.

Mountainman, do you have a picture of how you mounted your plate? I know the friction drive has lotsa room for a plate mount. Check out how i did mine:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=147&pictureid=996

Mark - that's what I call A CUSTOM BEND JOB. Well done and it works - that's the main thing. I am not good at all with computers - plus ours is slow - so I don't think that I will even try to get a picture of my plate up. Not really much to see anyway. It's just mounted on the plate - sits just behind and under my seat.
to dwsutton -- yes in Ca they at one time did require all bicycles to have a very small license plate - they were issued at local fire departments - haven't seen them lately - and don't really miss them. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

You could make a jacket for riding, and contact-cement the plate to the back of your jacket, and have a head lamp on your head backwards (or mount one to your helmet) and have it pointing at your plate.:D

this is how I mounted mine.

Attachments

• 07-31-08_1637.jpg
    07-31-08_1637.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 08-06-08_1636.jpg
    08-06-08_1636.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 08-06-08_1650.jpg
    08-06-08_1650.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 177
Back