License Plates

Ny and Pa suck. Pa is similar it HAS to be registered as a moped. In that case just go on the old Facebook marketplace or Craig’s and get a moped. All you need is a car license and you can get big bore kits or 125 4 speed swap. Currently trying to piece together the crappy motorized bike and selling it as well as the schwinn. After that probably getting a moped. I wasted so much time and money on crap and I’ve realized it.

I was wanting to run a shift kit and be legal in Tennessee. Thanks for the reply.

Always remember that "shift kits" are really just a jackshaft that allows for crank-assist conversion. Your engine becomes a crank-assist, the gears are part of the bicycle itself, usable with or without engine running. There are no shiftable gears between engine and pedal crank. That's "illegal".

ny had the f'duppest laws. can't even own an albino snake legally lol.
workaround for some states-buy a basketcase ped/scooter n register the moped. outfit your bicycle with all electrics a moped has, n safety devices. take the plate for the ped n put it on the bicycle. sell or scrap said ped.
just tad more legal as building a 66cc bicycle and forget abt laws.
I don't advise actually doing this btw lol,,

I'm just an old guy that does not want problems with the cops. I even put L/Plates on my scooters for this reason. Also here in Tennessee there are hills that I can't climb because I need lower gearing.

I'm just an old guy that does not want problems with the cops. I even put L/Plates on my scooters for this reason. Also here in Tennessee there are hills that I can't climb because I need lower gearing.

I know what you mean, some real nasty hills not far from me It's always been my experience that if one rides reasonably and follows traffic laws like most everybody else, the cops just leave you alone - that is unless they want to check out your bike and ask you how to build one! Ofc, there are always bored cops that think you're breaking some kind of law - you have to be because you're smiling so much, right? Just tell em you're slower than Lance Armstrong. Myself I've gone 62 on a road bike downhill, never done over 42 on a MB. 25-30 is my own happy place!

My nexus hub has held up daily driving, and racing a couple times recently. Today I had 2 different friends running in their trucks behind me clocking me at just over 40 mph going on a slight uphill run with a bit of a headwind :ROFLMAO:. Maxed out too easy going back at 50 mph, might have done 60 mph on that stretch if geared for it (was downhill and had a tailwind for it). There are no flat stretches in yucaipa. Next time I will make them take vids :p.
Gonna bring a few different sprockets to gear it right next race (I hope).
I'm worried now that if I plate it, a red light camera well pop me. God forbid the judge ever find this, but I did 52 mph in a 25 zone on an old gear ratio. The city put a radar trailer thingy that told me my speed. I claim entrapment. I had drag strip flashbacks. The radar trailer (provided by the sheriffs dept) was used over and over as a ghetto drag strip by a few locals and I. So far, the sheriffs don't know that I won.

Last edited:
There are no straight roads in the hilly areas I ride. Speeds like that aren't possible here, not even in my BMW E30 or Scout 1200. Downhill to 15MPH 90-degree turn to steep uphill-type stuff. On a MaB, have to watch out for wild turkeys, they are fearless when you're on bike. Haven't seen a license plate camera on one yet.

My town's main road is almost perfectly straight for over 6 miles (3 mild bends), uphill one way (just slightly, with a couple steep hills), and downhill back. Most motorcycle involved wrecks on this stretch are caused by folks turning in front of the motorcyclist, and around 80%+ are fatal, speed limit is 45 mph for most of it.

Back