Ebay Lifan Engine 1.5 HP OHV 35cc Mini 4-Stroke #LF139F BINP $149

I personally feel I answered two legitimate questions here.

Why would someone spend more for a smaller engine than a larger engine?
Legal reasons.

Why are smaller engines higher in price than some larger engines?
Manufacture's know legal requirements for mopeds.

The intent was focus on why the cost is what it is; rather than the reason behind it. And why people are willing to spend more for it.

Put simply what a manufacturer is selling you is smallness, weight reduction and in our case legality. For this you are being charged more.

Last edited:
New R/S 35cc 4 stroke $439, Honda gx35cc $250. We don't have a lot of choices in the 30 to 50 cc 4 stroke category to buy. Lifan makes a bullit proof 70cc clone for the Honda ct70 trail bike, going off of that this motor should be good to go. $150 isn't a bad price for a new motor in my book, tank and clutch included.

You're so right Darwin these manufacturer could easily sell 49 cc 4 strokes engines as cheap as some of their larger ones. This is simply where less coupled with legality will cost you more.

I personally feel I answered two legitimate questions here.

Why would someone spend more for a smaller engine than a larger engine?
Legal reasons.

Why are smaller engines higher in price than some larger engines?
Manufacture's know legal requirements for mopeds.

The intent was focus on why the cost is what it is; rather than the reason behind it. And why people are willing to spend more for it.

Put simply what a manufacturer is selling you is smallness, weight reduction and in our case legality. For this you are being charged more.
Though I could be wrong, I thought it was because after a certain point the size/weight/metal won't fit in the implement they were designed for.The RS-EH035 literally has no metal left to bore it to a bigger size.If you look at the RC version of an RS-EH035 (fuji) it is $600 to $800, has no shroud/clutch.

Grinningremlin I've seen a 14 cc 4 stroke engine used in remote control cars and planes cost almost $300. Prime example of what I mean by less costing you more.

Last edited:
Grinningremlin I've seen a 14 cc 4 stroke engine used in remote cars and plains cost almost $300. Prime example of what I mean by less costing you more.
But that has nothing to do with "law-legality-litigiousness" of motorized bikes.It's harder to make a small gas engine than a big one, and there is more chance for a scrapper because of the size of the metal wall, the more efficient the engine the higher the cost; so it's all how you look at it, just because the stock metal of a 35cc 4stroke doesn't consist of the same amount of stock metal of a larger engine doesn't mean you're getting less, you're getting precise machining at a tiny size.Weight doesn't equal cost, work equals cost (at least to me).Take the GEBE, it weighs less than most any other MAB kit, stock kit is lighter/simpler/less parts than most MAB's, and I'd say you get MORE than most MAB's with it.I don't know if that's a good explanation.

www.bicycle-engines.com complete 49cc 4 stroke kit for $369 plus shipping. Legal and more economical than paying $150 for an engine without all the other parts you're going to need. I got my engine for $50, but my bike cost a total of about $800, not being a kit. If I had needed to be legal or economical, I'd have bought the 49cc kit. A non-kit engine is going to require a lot of parts that individually are very expensive.

Has anyone purchased one of these Lifan 35cc engines from Brand New Engines to write a review?
I'm curious how it runs & sounds. I may need to motorize '2High' my Tall Bike & think a low powered quiet 4-smoker would be the hot setup & for $149 a good deal.
Please advise
-Lowracer-

There is a review online about this engine that I read & it wa svery informative.
Summary: Quality control was poor & the engine had issues.
I'm out
-Low-

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back