Crashes Life after traumatic brain injury...SO YA DON'T WEAR A HELMET?!?!

Yeah... my wife worked in a head trauma long-term care facility for a couple of years after she graduated from college. A brain injury can change who you are, not just what you remember... And the worst part is, she said that many of these folks remember who they used to be, and are upset that they can't be that way again.

I am one of those idiots who used to think that helmets were over hyped, uncomfortable, and too hot to wear. That all changed one fateful day when I was in a motorcycle accident. I was in a coma for 5 days. The doctor nearly drilled a hole on my skull to relieve the pressure inside my skull from fluid buildup and swelling.
It changed me, big time. For the first year I had great difficulty carrying on a conversation. I could not remember how to sound out words, even though I had spoken them a few minutes before. I would forget what the conversation was about while speaking in mid sentence.
I read memory improving books and played table games that relied on memory skills.
I did what I could to get back to what I used to be like.
I used to have photogenic memory. I could read a book and months later someone could ask me a page number and I could recite it darned near word for word. I could take apart a blender, sewing machine, ect., walk away from it for a few weeks, and remember exactly how it came apart and how it went back together.
My memory is nowhere like that now.
Now, if I am working on particularly complicated things, I have to write notes to myself, draw sketches or take pictures of components before and during disassembly to ensure I reassemble things correctly.
I lost friends. They told me I am not the same person now that I was before.
To myself, my personality has not changed, but that's just my interpretation I guess.

I remember how it was, and I know why it changed.

Please wear a DOT approved helmet.
Not wearing one may not kill you, but I know for darned sure that it can change you in ways you never thought of until it happens to you.

did anyone see that biker in NY crash and get brain injuries riding on a rally against wearing helmets just recently?

I've had 2 semi-serious mountain bike crashes...smacked by head both times and broke ribs and a shoulder pretty bad. I was wearing a bicycle helmet and it probably at least prevented concussions. Granted, fairly aggressive MT biking is probably more risky than cruising on the street. The main thing is my wife feels better if I wear one.

I'd wear a helmet for mountain biking, because I'm tall and I tend to rake my scalp on overhead tree limbs etc. But if bicycle helmets were good at preventing concussions and such, you'd think they'd have had an effect on the overall rates of injuries like that. But they haven't.

Maybe it's because they just don't work, or maybe it's because people who wear helmets get into hairier situations because they feel protected. Whatever the deal, just as many folks get hurt and killed now, per cyclist capita, as before cycle helmets came into common use. Even racers get killed at about the same rate now that all of them are obligated to wear helmets.

The moral of the story is don't overestimate your protection. Only do things with a helmet that you'd do without one.

Chalo

Back in the 80's when I raced BMX, we were required to wear full head helmets with mouth guards... looking at eBay, I am reminded that there used to be mouth guards that were a separate piece that could be worn with an open faced helmet; and of course we are all familiar with the moto-cross style helmets with the molded front piece face/mouth guard.

as far as BIKE helmets go, I don't know if I would trust anything less. But that's why I wear DOT for motor-biking

The helmet wars....simple..Those who do not wish to use helmets..Dont ..who cares

Yes, it is still a free world and we all are free to make our own choices.
To answer your question, I care.
I have been there, done that, and it still sucks.

Hard to believe there is even any debate on this.

Aug 01, 2011
A Clark County man is in an area hospital recovering from a head injury he received after crashing his motorized bicycle early Monday morning.
Lyn Coon, 40, of 8 Loy Road, was rushed to Baptist Health Medical Center-Arkadelphia after he wrecked his motor-powered Schwinn bicycle on the Caddo River Bridge. Arkadelphia patrolman Thomas Free said Coon was traveling north on state Highway 7 when he hit a small bump on the bridge, which caused the bike to fold at the front and hurl Coon head-first onto the pavement.
Coon was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, Free said.
Free said Monday about 2:30 p.m. that Coon was sent to St. Joseph’s Mercy Hospital in Hot Springs soon after he was taken to BHMCA for treatment to head injuries.
Free didn’t have details on Coon’s speed, but said he was probably traveling “faster than a normal bicycle’s speed” because he was using the motor equipped on the bicycle at the time of the accident.
g12c0000000000000008356dc61ab31fa70356df43ee315c56f820bcc47.jpg
http://www.siftingsherald.com/features/x1158632137/Bicycle-accident-sends-one-to-the-hospital

Such is human nature- if you state that water is wet and rocks will sink in it, there will be an argument. I still wear a helmet.
the Old Sgt.

Back