Lightened Gudgeon Pin

Stoneman

Local time
3:46 AM
lightened the pin by 4.5 grams, can’t complain about that.

214FF08F-BC8A-4745-90F7-E725D783920F.jpeg

59635020-C038-42EB-BB73-AE262ACF1736.jpeg
4584ADEF-2C57-439C-B573-8FBE5525A770.jpeg
B80B0A7A-5924-4BC0-A09F-045BF051A7D9.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ll get a postage price if your interested? Give me some time and I’m going to see what I can take from the piston as well
View attachment 81548
Very interested! It's one of the very few things that can't be done on my coffee table using small/cheap tools.

I was able to remove only 1.5 grams from inside the piston (non windowed) so I resorted to grinding a little off the con rod (for an unknown weight reduction) to reduce the reciprocating mass. This was enough, along with the 3/8" holes in the crank cheeks, to get perfectly reasonable balance up to around 7000rpm, but it is a little bit shakey above that speed. (That might be the timing as much as the balance though. I have a stock CDI with 1.2mm offset magnet key.)

You can add three of these beauties to the parcel with my two Jaguar designed CDIs! ;) ;)

Last edited:
oh i does like a nice carbide drill... though they arent quite as impressive as watching a T-drill take out a 50mm hole at 100mm deep in a matter of seconds.

idea with the piston...looks like theres at least a bit of meat around the bosses so you could run an endmill through, putting two flats on the side of the piston.... though looking at the clip grooves...maybe not. (on a 48 at least)

make a split bush clamp so you can ensure concentricity, and you can bore out the back of the skirt a bit, until you meet the bosses (wife...shes a stunner!)

You should sell them. Most everyone with a china girl engine has too much vibration. This will lessen the vibration.

You should sell them. Most everyone with a china girl engine has too much vibration. This will lessen the vibration.

I have been, I’ve just got to work out the drill bits.
I’m talking to the tool sharpener about it as the edges dull real quick, I’ve just hooked up a mister for cooling so I’m hoping the bits will last longer.
The carbide bits here are quite expensive.

Let us know the cost (including shipping) and how to pay. I assume they come from Australia.

I’m on my way to see him today with another 2 bits needing sharpening so I get get an idea what it’s actually costing me.

Will do though and yes from Australia. . It was all thanks to your web site :)

Back