Lightest Electric Bike in the World!

gyroguy

Local time
6:49 AM
Yesterday I saw a YouTube video that had just been posted on "The Slofly Ebike --The First Lightest Electric Bike in the world."

Here's where I saw it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxh_cMrIyVI

I traced the video to this website: http://www.slofly.com/showthread.php?t=127

The website is a forum for SloFly model airplanes. So I'm thinking that this electric bike uses RC model airplane parts.

Sloper Steve posted the video again. His second post provided more info:
"Generally asked questions:
"What is the range?
"The range is dependent on the number of batteries used.
"To illustrate the light weight and power of the batteries they are taped on the handlebars.
"This is just an example showing the power of this technology it is not intended you set it up this way unless to putt around smooth ground in a relatively flat neighborhood.
"This setup in the video is using less than HALF the speed or power of the motor so there is a lot more power available than is apparent in the video.
"Estimated range is 2-5 miles per 2/10ths of each amp hour. So a 10AH battery would go at least 25mi.
"Range will be greatly increased with geared setups with freewheels in the appropriate areas.
"To illustrate how simple it is to drive a bike the motor was mounted over the tire.
"This is because most people, including this Ebike innovator, do not have the money or time to develop a better drive train without an investor.
"Due to this limitation the video is showing a low cost way to drive the bike without needing to worry about the drive train.
"Presenting this information on Youtube gets more people working on ways to drive the bike which when shared makes the world a better place.
"Check out the drive train thread [on the SloFly website] for ways to get the power to the road.
"Sign up here at the forum. The answer to the security question is epp.
"The Slofly Ebike kit will be for sale soon at http://www.humboldtev.com

I went to that site, and there's some basic info but no specs or prices.

All of this information was posted Sept. 10, 2008, so this thread is about as newsworthy as your morning newspaper.

I'd like to see some other people check this out and post comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to join slofly. I got a weird question I had to answer: What type of foam is best? (answer is 3 letters)

WTF?

I"M IN! now what?

Fun game!!

The answer is... SEA-foam!

Lemme know if it works.

I liked your answer. But buzzzzzzz wrong.

World's noisiest electric bike!

HT's ain't exactly quiet Pab. Don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to getting one and your jackshaft. I liked the sound of it. It had kind of a growl. My e-zip sounds like a giant remote control car.

The answer to the security question is epp.

Don't understand it, but yours was right. :confused:

Guess nothin'

I got this email:

Dear ozzyu812,

Unfortunately your registration at Slofly did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted.

Sorry,
Slofly

I sent this reply:

Why? What are your requirements?
Just looked at the activation email, was it because I didn't use the activation code. Most of those things all you do is click the link.
Too bad, you mentioned wanting someone with access to CNC machines and my uncle has a desent size machine shop/factory.

Sorry,
OzzyU812

HT's ain't exactly quiet Pab. Don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to getting one and your jackshaft. I liked the sound of it. It had kind of a growl. My e-zip sounds like a giant remote control car.

Wasn't comparing the motor to a 2 stroke engine. Good lord, why would I do that? Just other e-bikes seem very quiet. The ones I rode in Taiwan were silent. Probably just a feature of the video, microphone location and such.

Good luck with slofly!

Back