lighting problem

motorbike-scubaguy

Local time
6:01 PM
so I have a 12v lighting system and its not working. I have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380455969562?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261042996891?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150967964107?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400108733087?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

all the connections are tight. the blinkers and horn are run off a 12v battery and are wired into my multi switch. the led lights i am tring to run off the generator. i checked connection with a multi meter and all was good. but when the motors on the led lights wont work. when they are hooked to the battery they work good. im thinking that because the generator is putting out ac it wont run my led lights. so i am thinking i should eather get a rectifier or run a charging setup for the battery. its about the same cost. what are your guys thoughts on this? i can post a few pic in a day or two.?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The LED's are set up for DC. That "generator" puts out AC.
While the actual LED's themselves don't really care if they are getting either AC or DC, the circuitry inside the lights most likely do.
Also the lights are rated at consuming 9 watts each.
The Mini Gen Max is rated at 5 to 10 watts. Considering that it is advertised to be used with either a 6 or 12 volt output, most likely it is 5 watts with a 12 volt load, 10 watts with a 6 volt load.
I believe that you are asking more from the Mini Gen Max than it is capable of producing.

For a period of time, I ran three LED (4 watts each) lights off a 12 v ac 6 watt dynamo/alternator, but these LED lights do not have an integrated circuit and seemed to care less if ac/dc or how +/- is hooked up to them so long as juice flows. But I know some LED lights will only function if the +/- is connected correctly.

I have since purchased a small 12v dc 7 amp sealed lead acid battery for $17.00 with free shipping from Amazon, so will now be using it for lights. I have been told that one of the little $22.00 Wal-Mart small battery charger/maintainers wired to the ac dynamo/alternator will change the ac in to dc out and charge the battery I bought. Don’t know if for true, but I am going to give it a go and see.

Last edited:
I tried running 6v lights from my engine white wire for a spell. I blew bulbs often and tired of tending to the wiring. To me, it is simpler to just run battery powered lights. Today's battery powered lights can be very inexpensive and give long battery life for the amount of light produced. I carry a backup set of lights at night whether I am running on battery or white wire power.

From what I've been researching I've discovered that to charge a 12 volt 1.2/.3 Ah battery you need to add 2.45 volts off the alternator, or 14.45 volts. More than that and the battery may possibly explode. Luckily for me I've found an adjustable AC voltage regulator. It adjust between 12 volts to 16 volts by the turn of a screw.
If you use one on both sides of the battery you can adjust the brightness of your lights, or at least in theory. HA HA! trail-tech-regulator-2T.jpg

My philosophy concerning MB lighting is pretty simple.

1. You want every ounce of power your little 2-stroke motor can produce to the wheel unencumbered by anything correct?
Anything you attach to share that power be it the Aux magneto wire or any tire rubbing or hub generated power is robbing you of that motion power with a load to generate electricity because unless you have some system to generate power using a gen as a brake you are using your gas and power to do it.

2. Lithium Ion Re-Chargeable Batteries are cheap now, hold a big punch, and can power all your lighting needs for weeks if not months with 'blow you away' 1200 Lumen lights before they need a simple AC quick quick connect AC pack charge.

Just food for thought for you but that is how I do it.

If power was my thingy, I would have a full blown crotch rocket. But, so long as it gets me down the road at 10-12 mph with good mileage, I am satisfied.

For last month, my 12v ac 6 watt bottle dynamo appears to be doing it's thing as to charging the 7 amp SLA battery with no problems. It started at 13-13.5 volts and still maintains that voltage. I have read that resulting rectified pulsating direct current, does a better job of charging a battery than a capacitor/regulated direct current.

Back