Lights Like A Christmas Tree

This is my ugly, but cool, albeit in a very utilitarian sort of way, hybrid Huffy beach cruiser. I went through a lot of trouble to outfit it with all the lights that a road vehicle should have, even though laws don't require a bicycle to have anything more than some kind of head light and red tail light. I don't care to let go of the handlebar to hand signal, and it feels silly. I have universal led lights in the back, but although it has separate brake and tail lights, there are no brake lights when the tail lights are on, I guess they use the same lights, for some stupid reason. So for the time being, I just improvised 3, 10mm bright red leds in the middle for extra brake lights. The turn signals are more interesting, I stuck bullet led's into the ends of the handle bars, those are nice and bright, and I found these kind of cool led turn signal display boards for the front. They have an array of led's in the shape of an arrow, in 3 rows, and it lights them progressively, so that it appears to move in the direction they are pointing, which is kind of cool looking. And I have a 16 watt led headlight, nice and bright! I even put in a cheap alarm system.

bike.jpg

Last edited:
It looks vary functional. What type of turn switch are you using? What power source? Are you using the front hub motor to assist forward movement or as a generator/dyno?

The front hub motor is just to assist movement, it sure makes the gas engine easy to start. I use a little pack of 18650 cells for the lights, and just a normal 3 position rocker switch for the turn signals. It's pretty basic, I guess. I think the bullet lights in the handlebars are the best part. Since I took the pix, I replaced the 3 led's I have been using for extra brake lights with a red bullet light that I put a laser diode that used to be a dvd burner in without a lens. It's bright as hell, even diffused through the red plastic lens.

https://motoredbikes.com/threads/how-i-power-the-lights.52203/

Back