lights

You know I've played around with the white wire out of my 48cc engine, it's just a parallel connection to the blue wire from what I can see.

Without any other load other than the magneto, I see 28 to 50 volts AC off of it, and I've been trying out various 110 volt AC to 5 volt DC switching power 'wall warts' connected to the white wire and grounded to the engine. I found that the wall wart will charge one of my USB rechargeable flashing/steady LED bike headlights, without causing the engine to stumble or run crappy at low RPMs. It might succeed as a charge maintainer, the magneto's current overhead through the white wire maybe more than adequate.

I've noticed that at lower RPM the wallwart goes dead, so maybe it's not using any current below a certain voltage out of the magneto. I need to test this more as a long term project to see if the magneto is up to sourcing a little extra current while charging various small lights and cellphones as a steady diet.

Last edited:
You know I've played around with the white wire out of my 48cc engine, it's just a parallel connection to the blue wire from what I can see.

Without any other load other than the magneto, I see 28 to 50 volts AC off of it, and I've been trying out various 110 volt AC to 5 volt DC switching power 'wall warts' connected to the white wire and grounded to the engine. I found that the wall wart will charge one of my USB rechargeable flashing/steady LED bike headlights, without causing the engine to stumble or run crappy at low RPMs. It might succeed as a charge maintainer, the magneto's current overhead through the white wire maybe more than adequate.

I've noticed that at lower RPM the wallwart goes dead, so maybe it's not using any current below a certain voltage out of the magneto. I need to test this more as a long term project to see if the magneto is up to sourcing a little extra current while charging various small lights and cellphones as a steady diet.
Back to the laboratory!

honestly, I stopped pursuing the genset question on my 4-stroke and went lithium. no regrets.

go for the 4800mAh, it's $2 more than the 3000mAh, it's the size of a pack of playing cards, 12v output, built in battery protection/charger circuit, no muss, no fuss, no digging around in the motor. AND no parasitic load on the motor, and no worrying about not having enough power for lights at idle

I second this notion, any in favor against it say "Nay"...mine is the 3,000mah I order it to just try it out like 3months back, and so far it has proven it's money well spent. Charges in 5 hours and powers 2 Led 6w lights, for like 14-16 days, use em for 1hr of night riding, thinking of installing the motorcycle headlamp I ordered but need to change the bulb to a 12-24w not the standard 35w one.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Now I'm wondering can I use the generator to power the battery indefinitely, it would probably kill the battery's life though.

I've been thinking of putting some Baja designs lights on my bike, but some of them pull 20-40 watts, would this be too much to run off of one of these engines

Has anyone tried one of these Motorized Bike Light Generator that you can wire to your motor
Sorry couldn't get the link to pop up so I took a pic.

Attachments

• DSCF0470.JPG
    DSCF0470.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCF0471.JPG
    DSCF0471.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF0472.JPG
    DSCF0472.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF0476.JPG
    DSCF0476.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF0477.JPG
    DSCF0477.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 114
I have full functioning headlight, tail, brake and signal lights. All LED lights powered by 12 18650 rechargeable batteries. With everything on it pulls about .5 amps and I get well over 3 hours use before having to recharge the batteries. Most of my bike rides are under a hour long so this works great for me.

Back