list of free dollar mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granite if you can get it
That's what I use a 3/4" thick square of granite the highly polished kind mainly used for fireplace hearth's (got for free at a fireplace shop) , works a treat and no fear of smashing glass everywhere

I would love to have one of those machinist stones I forget what its called but expensive!
Not sure but I think the aluminum would load up a abrasive stone. I have a medium and fine arkansas stone I might try out. Probably best to just use granite with sand paper.

if you're worried about surface irregularities of the glass, sand it down in the normal figure 8 motion, but every so often rotate it (ie. you could do rotations of 135deg. every ten or twenty figures of 8)

jaguar, is the hi temp gasket material you recommend metallic, or is it some kind of synthetic, composite, etc.?

Not sure but I think the aluminum would load up a abrasive stone. I have a medium and fine arkansas stone I might try out. Probably best to just use granite with sand paper.
I didn't mean an abrasive stone its a stone maybe it's granite idk but its absolutely flat was used to check that mated surfaces are true.

I didn't mean an abrasive stone its a stone maybe it's granite idk but its absolutely flat was used to check that mated surfaces are true.
Got ya. I just checked it out. Starrett uses a product called tru stone made of granite that is accurate to .000025" in 6" for metrology. They also use it for foundations of machinery that must be mounted on a absolutely flat surface.

Yeah something like that would be awesome!I was told they are pricey though!
Check them out on ebay under granite surface plate . they have one that is 18"x24"x3" accurate to .00015 for 140.00 shipped. Get this it weighs 154 lbs. They have smaller ones too. Less than a dollar a pound, way cheaper than hamburger.

No problemo. The Starrett web site had some interesting stuff, so I learned something. It amazes me that modern precise instrumentation is trued by a stone formed 1000,000 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back