Live free or Ride

Wishbone

Local time
3:33 PM
Have been lurking on MBc for a while , enjoy the passion of MBers. I've been peddling anything I could ride all my life, Cruiser, MTB, Road, Bent, & Pedal Cars. Never though riding a Motorized Bike could be so much fun.

I have a Custom Schwinn Road bike modified w/ 25cc Honda 4 Stroke w/ jack shaft friction Drive w/ 4" grinding wheel. Have ridden in the rain & it does not slip.

I do need fenders though, & a basket would be nice. As a tinkerer I have enjoyed the creativity of the members of this site. I will try & get some pic's ASAP.

I live in Derry, NH , very hilly & soon to be cold.

Hi, glad to be aboard.

Grinding Wheel (GW) does not seem to eat tires at all. Circumferance of grinding wheel is over 12", so it is not spinning as fast as a small wheel. W/ engine spinning @ 3K rpm wheel spins ~ 800 rpm. I just installed 56T spocket on GW shaft w/ 15T drive cog, this gears it much better than 32T sprocket did (too high). Now it climbs very well. When I want to slow down a bit I shut down the throttle & I get some braking action w/ the friction drive.

An interesting setup, centers the motor over the rear wheel.

When I want to slow down a bit I shut down the throttle & I get some braking action w/ the friction drive.

Curious:

Does that mean you're not using a clutch on the motor?

What speed range are you getting with present gearing?

How do you control down pressure on the tire?

Last edited:
Friction Slowing

Hi HV, On braking action, Motor has a clutch so all of the slowing is due to friction of the wheel against the tire, (mostly distortion of tire). Slowing is not dramatic , but a nice effect.
On engaging Grinding Wheel, Currently I just open quick release & lower front of rack until GW depresses tire. I have to stop to disengage. It would be nice to be able to do it on the fly w/ some type of cam lever. I estimate ~25-30 mph.
I just mounted a chain cover. Next will mount a speedo.

Welcome to MBc.

You mentioned wanting (wishing for?:rolleyes:) fenders. How you gonna do that with a friction drive? Will you cover the GW with a big wart on the fender? Or slot the fender for the GW?

Just curious. Interesting problem. I like quandaries. :)

Ted

Back