Long commutes....what's your average mph?

Here in Billings MT we dont have bike paths really anywhere. In a city of 130,000 people there are maybe 5 or so roads(non of which are main arteries) with a bike lane. So I can only really safely ride with traffic. So my cruzing speeds are around 35-37 mph with a top speed rpm limited to 45(must be tucked to get this speed). I get good enough accel to take off from lights at the same rate as cars(without pedaling, except before engine engagement). My bike is built pretty stout(very simalerly to what lennyharp described, minus hydraulic brakes)... and on a sidenote lenny, unless you are riding offroad alot, I would recommend some street competition tires. DH tires are designed to be able to run super low air pressures so they stick to the loose stuff better. I just dont think they would serve your purpose to well, beside you dont really want knobby's for commuteing.

According to my digital speedometer, I always averaged ~20MPH in a 40 mile day. Part of my commute is on a bike path, so I keep it in the 18-22MPH range there. Once I get back on the streets, I run as close to 30MPH as I can, unless I see Johnny Law, then I back off to 25. There's a few lonely stretches where I take it up to no more than 35.

My commuter has a broken frame, still in the process of transferring HT motor apparatus to my new one.

Im sllloooowww

I have about 40 miles on my new motor so still using the heavy oil mixture. Seems the sweet spot for my bike is around 18 mph right now. I hit 25 once but prefer to not run WOT until it is broken in completely. Im thinking 47 mph on a bike - not me - At 45 Im an old f#rt-LOL

D

I used to commute on the bike and just went with whatever speed the cars were going so would bounce between 20-40. Wish I still could but gotta use the Company Truck. At least I don't have to pay for the gas and thats a good thing. 17k miles since February.

i just finished installing my kit and ive been riding it around easy till it breaks in but today i was going around 15

Back