long distance chinese-engine endurance?

good opinions, all...about butts :p

what about my chinese 70cc...can i count on it to get my oh-so-comfy butt there? :?

The Achilles Heel of these engines is the mounting brackets and bolts coming loose from the vibration. I made it 101 miles without a problem then had the exhaust studs strip out and several engine bolts came out twisting the engine and breaking the case on a short 25 mile ride.

thanks for that, Edward...that's about what i expected to hear.

so, unless i'm willing to "rebuild" every night, i'll have to consider a combo that's more suited to long-distance runs.

I wouldn't say a rebuild, more like a 1920's aircraft where you retighten the nuts and check the safety wires every evening. We need procedures and materials that are equal to the task, every time something fails, make it stronger and document it for others that follow. Safety wiring the bolts would be cool but my first attempts at getting the hole through the bolt heads were not successful, so I went to allen head cap screws which are stronger and take the loctite like a spot weld. The exhaust holes can be heli-coiled with a kit from the auto parts store if they strip out. Oversized exhaust systems need extra support on the frame to prevent stripping out the holes on the head.

On my last journey I had a routine that was my *every* morning routine.
A thourough safety check of everything engine AND cycle. Plus changing the oil before getting under way. Yup, I changed my oil (four cycle engine) every morning. At 8 ounces per, and wal-mart super jug (this was recomended by a Whizzer guy who retired from a major oil company in the R.D. dept- he said that this (cheap) oil was "no different than the more expensive stuff; and if you're changing it out every day, why pay more than you have to? And along those same lines, why worry about the big debate of synthetic vs. (real)? just use the cheap stuff amnd change it before every day's ride."
Well anyway, a morning ritual of pre-ride checks can certainly go a long way to the longevity of the engine, the bike, and your own longevity.
I've heard tales (no proof, just stories from a feller I occasionally bar stool race with) that these engines can be long distancers- it just takes a little more precaution, awareness, and hands-on modification.
I'm not saying one way or the other really, just relaying my experience, and 'what I've heard' info...
I don't have enough hours on my chinese two strokers to be able to say one way or another.

:D
Rif

Here's a recap of a previous post I did about twostroke longevity. " I have rebuilt numerous 2stroke chainsaw engines, most of which were used to either by loggers or chainsawcarvers. These engines were used hard, continously for long hours day after day. Most of the engines failed for one of two reasons, either overrevved or run with gas more than one month old since mixed with oil. They all failed in the same way. The piston seized, all the damage was on the exhaust port side of the cylinder and piston. Most of the chainsaw venders are selling synthetic oil nowdays. The British Seagull marine engine website recommends continuing to use petroleum based oil in their engines. They also say that once you mix oil with the gas it severly decreases the gas storage life. My advice to use the twostroke oil of your choice, but don't use stale fuel older than one month since mixing. The oil in the fuel lubes all the bearings and decreases cylinder wear."

The daily oil change in a air cooled 4stroke is a good idea. In an air cooled engine much of the cooling is actually done by the oil. Air cooled engines run hotter so the oil is subject to more heat related degradation. An oil change when the oil is hot is superior to a "cold" oil change for at least two reasons: hot oil flows easier so more of the "last drops" will exit the engine, more of the acids, carbon and impurities will still be suspended in the oil when it is draining.

OIL-IN-GAS STORAGE ANMD SEATS, FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH

I store my Lawn Boy by running dry with Sea Foam, then start one more time with Sea Foam in it before winter storage. I use old gas in spring stored with additives; so far, so good.

Seats: Seems the Brooks seats might be handy and good for speed cycling, but my old Brooks was a bit "boney" and I sold it. On a motorized rig, I think that would not be one I would enjoy.

Seems I read somewhere that "broad coverage" - may not be possible for some, I know - is best and that also article said gel seats would be best for not injuring you nerves or tail-bone area, which for some is quite a problem.

My cruiser seat seems OK so far, but my bike set-up has me leaning forward like a mountain bike rig and it is my arms that get the pressure, more than my rear, and I have to mount the seat back due to long legs. The bike has solid forks.

Still, will likely buy a wide, cruiser style gel seat this month.

For what it is worth.

I've got a little over 8200 miles on mine but thats 300+ miles in a week
I have not tried a real long trip yet on Butterfly yet
i've been riding her for 3.5 years now

8200 miles?

You have 8,200 miles so far ? any rebuilding to your motor? What is your mix ratio? What type of motor is it? Let me know..Thanks...Enjoy the ride..

i think its a tiger 2 stroke 80cc, that livefst sells but don't know if loco got it from him......he said it in a previous post, l was also amazed :eek:
after reading it l purchased a tiger engine also, locally, cheaper than on the internet. l havent had one prob or leak since l've had it, very strong puller 8)

Back