Long Distance Cruser

Those Lifan look good but as soon as we add a shiftable transmission....the bicycle becomes a motorcycle in most States.
We may be able to fudge on displacement but a trans is hard to hide. :cool:

Ol' Pete said:
Those Lifan look good but as soon as we add a shiftable transmission....the bicycle becomes a motorcycle in most States.
We may be able to fudge on displacement but a trans is hard to hide. :cool:
Well the thing is, to do what the OP hopes for, it's going to be illegal one way or another.

Some of the things I remember from Illinois code are "30 mph top speed over level ground", "no more than 2 brake HP", and "no transmission that does not require shifting". ....Also I know the IL scooter license is only valid for motorcycles that are 150cc or under, and that don't require shifting, and the smaller Lifan engines are available with automatics. So an automatic transmission in itself wouldn't seem to make them illegal.

The practical problem here is that a 50cc 4-stroke with a 3-speed may be able to roll you at over 30 mph... but probably not a lot over 30. The two lower gears aren't going to be higher than 30mph, they're going to provide low-end torque to allow starting without pedaling, because nobody with mopeds does that.
And visually it's still a pretty small engine package overall.

The questions I'd have are what side does it drive the chain on, and how can you work a bicycle-pedal setup into it (or does it have one built-in already?) Most mopeds had crank-pedals integrated but this one doesn't show them so I don't know.
~

The OP has not come back into this thread but when he does he should check Texas law.

DougC,
All the mopeds I have seen are single speed and pedal start. The 50cc unit in the link you offered is a kick start engine, that just screams m/c. :cool: I have no desire to argue as I have done many questionable things with car and m/c in the past...but this is not the '60s or '70s.

One reason I suggested a BOB trailer is the low drag it offers at speed. If improperly loaded and run down hill at 35+mph, they are know to weave a little but they don't tip over in hard turns like two wheeled trailers can.

Back